Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pump Flow calculation

1. Aug 6, 2012 #1
    Hello,
    When selecting a pump one should calculate the flow rate of the building supplied. To determine the building's supply one should select the longest piping distance and the the area where the most flow is required, right?
    or it can be multiple areas «, or one should select all the areas supplied by the pipeline....the latter would require an enormous amount of flow whereas selecting the are with the most flow and that with the most head will result in a more economic decision, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2013 #2
    The pump flow has to match or be greater (can be throttled with a regulating valve in the main line or by throttling back all the regulating valves in all the branches) The combined flow of all the branches ( I'm kind of assuming a system with branches in parallel . By the way I was assuming a heating system with a supply and return, is this the case? The head is that of the highest as all other branches are throttled to give them the design flow for that high head. (I'm assuming a one pump system)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook