Understanding Pump Capacity at 30m Head

In summary, the conversation discusses a pump with a capacity of 10 m^3/hr at 30 meters head and what this means. The 30 meters head is the difference in pressure across the pump, and can be expressed as a height using the weight density of the fluid. The conversation also mentions using Bernoulli's equation and pump efficiency to calculate the actual volumetric flow rate in two different lines. However, it is noted that more data is needed for the pump, such as a pump curve, to accurately determine the operating point. It is also mentioned that if the pump is a positive displacement pump, the flow rate is constant and the only data needed is Bernoulli's equation.
balotpinoy
a pump capacity of 10 m^3/hr at 30 meters head. what does the 30 meters head mean?

thank you..

Engineering news on Phys.org
The pump increases the pressure downstream, relative to the pressure upstream. The 30 meters head is the difference in pressure 'across' the pump (discharge pressure minus suction pressure). Pressure (force per area) can be expressed in height (meters) by considering the pressure at the base of a column of the pumped fluid 30 meters tall. To change the units of 'head' to units of 'pressure' you need to know the weight density of the fluid.

so can i use it in Bernoulli's equation as work given to the fluid?

- head x density x gravitational constant

is that right?

Right. [tex]V^2/2g[/tex] [tex] z [/tex] [tex] P/\rho g[/tex] all have units of length.

And if you multiply each by [tex]g \rho[/tex] you get units of pressure

Last edited:
no more deductions for pump efficiency?

kindly help me with this one..

i want to compute the actual volumetric flowrate in line 1 & 2. discharge for both lines are in different elevations. given data for me is these;

mono pump capacity= 10 m3/hr at 30 meters
line 1 from tee to discharge is a 2-inch pipe
line 1 discharge elevation= 12 meters
line 2 from tank bottom to discharge is 3-inch pipe
line 2 discahrge elevation=11.5 meters
fittings/valves are present along the line, pls bear with my drawing..

i've been trying to figure out how I am going to use the available pump data in my bernoulli's equation.

and another thing is the flowrate. can i directily solve for velocity of fluid at the pump discharge from the given flowrate..

thank you in advance..

Attachments

• diagram.JPG
    diagram.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 462
You need more than one data point for the pump. Typically you have a 'pump curve' which shows the head at various flowrates. As the flowrate is decreased towards zero, the head will rise to the 'shutoff head', and as flow is increased the head will drop off. Then you can plot the pump curve along with the system resistance curve (basically bernoulli solved for head loss). Where the two curves cross, that's the operating point.

Above describes the situation for a centrifugal pump. If you have a positive displacement pump, the flowrate is constant; all you need is bernoulli. But I don't think you have a PD pump, because then the 'at 30 meters head' doesn't make sense.

its a PD pump and that's the only data available for that pump since its old already.

so far here is what i did with my problem;

to solve for Q in lines 1 & 2, i first computed for Pressure at point B (pls refer to attached drawing) using bernoulli's equation in pipe A-B using 30 meters head as pump work and obtained my velocity at point B using the flowrate/area of pipe.

is it correct? and if so, how can i proceed to solve for flowrates in both lines?

thank you again..

Attachments

• diagram.JPG
    diagram.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 497
If it is a PD pump then you know the flowrate, right? The 30 meters head is misdirection - a red herring. All you need to figure out is the split between Line 1 and Line 2. What can you say about the pressure drops BD and BC? How do those pressure drops vary with flowrate?

What is "pump capacity at 30m head"?

Pump capacity at 30m head refers to the maximum volume of liquid that a pump can move at a 30 meter head or distance from the pump inlet to the discharge point.

Why is understanding pump capacity at 30m head important?

Understanding pump capacity at 30m head is important because it helps determine the pump's efficiency and whether it is suitable for a specific application. It also helps in selecting the right pump for a given project and ensuring that it can meet the required flow rate.

How is pump capacity at 30m head calculated?

Pump capacity at 30m head is calculated by multiplying the pump's flow rate by the pump head at 30 meters. This calculation takes into account the pump's performance curve and the system's head loss.

What factors can affect pump capacity at 30m head?

The pump's design, size, and type can affect its capacity at 30m head. Other factors include the type of liquid being pumped, the system's head loss, and the presence of any obstructions or restrictions in the pump's inlet or discharge lines.

How can pump capacity at 30m head be improved?

Pump capacity at 30m head can be improved by selecting a pump with a higher efficiency, reducing head loss in the system, and ensuring proper maintenance of the pump. Installing a larger pump or using multiple pumps in parallel can also increase pump capacity at 30m head.