Pump Jack force - fracture mechanics

In summary, a pump jack is a mechanical device used in the oil and gas industry to extract oil from a well. It applies a force known as the "pump jack force" which is calculated by the weight of the rods and fluid column multiplied by the distance they travel. Fracture mechanics is important in relation to pump jack force as it can cause cracks and fractures in the well. To prevent fractures, the pump jack force needs to be optimized by balancing the weight and distance traveled, which can be achieved through proper maintenance and adjustments. Factors such as overloading, improper maintenance, and poor alignment can contribute to pump jack force-induced fractures, so regular monitoring and addressing of these factors is crucial.
tommy060289
Hey everyone,

Im having some major trouble with an assignment that I just can't figure out what to do with it.

we have been given a pump jack similar to below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pump_Jack_labelled.png

Ignore the belt attachment and gearbox, ours just has motor to crank.
and have been told the pitman arm has Cross-sectional area 0.01m^2.

The engine develops power 100,000J/s at 0.2revs/s and creates stroke of 2m

I need to find the force in the pitman arm and first did this using the equation:

Power=Torque*rads/s = force*distance*0.2*2pi rads/s

which using my info made

which makes force just over 79kN

However, I was told this was wrong and that the force in the arm can be calculated approx as function of power speed and stroke.

Which would mean power = Nm/s so to get rid of m/s we would divide revs/s and divide my stroke to leave use Force (N) = 0.4*power which comes out about 250kN

I then need to calculate stress from the force/csa which is easy enough but I just need to get the force in the arm correct and I don't see how the force in the arm can be more than force of motor unless I have worked something out wrong unless the force of motor is somehow being multiplied by crank. Can anyone please explain:(

P.S we were also told that not all force is absorbed by pitman arm and should justify that so i think we just say some force will be absorbed on route to the pitman arm by the crank and counterweight and that force not used by these two parts will be transmitted (this could allow me to use a lower power in my force =0.4power calc. Or do people think some force would also be absorbed by the rest of the system (even though everything must be transmitted through the pitman arm except for what goes through counter-weight and crank)

any help appreciated:)

Cheers,

Tom

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello Tom,

It seems like you have already made some good progress in your calculations. However, I would like to offer some additional insights and clarifications.

Firstly, the equation you have used to calculate the force in the pitman arm is correct: Power = Torque * angular velocity. However, there is one small detail that needs to be taken into consideration - the distance at which the force is applied. In the case of a pump jack, the force is applied at the end of the pitman arm, which is at a distance from the center of rotation (crank) equal to the stroke length. This means that the correct equation to use is: Power = Force * Stroke * Angular velocity.

Now, let's look at the given information. The engine develops power of 100,000 J/s at 0.2 revs/s. This means that the engine is capable of exerting a force of 100,000 J/s / (0.2 revs/s * 2m) = 250,000 N. This is the maximum force that the engine can exert on the pitman arm, assuming all the power is transmitted to the arm.

However, as you correctly stated, not all of this force is absorbed by the pitman arm. Some of it is absorbed by the crank and counterweight, as well as other components in the system. This means that the actual force in the pitman arm will be less than 250,000 N. You will need to take into account the efficiency of the system, which is the ratio of the output force to the input force. This efficiency can vary depending on factors such as the condition of the components, friction, and other losses.

In order to calculate the stress on the pitman arm, you will need to use the actual force exerted on the arm, not the maximum force that the engine is capable of. This will give you a more accurate representation of the stress on the arm.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Good luck with your assignment!

What is a pump jack and what is its function?

A pump jack is a type of mechanical device used in the oil and gas industry to extract oil from a well. It consists of a series of connected rods and a motor that moves a beam up and down, creating vertical movement in the well to bring oil to the surface.

What is the force applied by a pump jack and how is it calculated?

The force applied by a pump jack is known as the "pump jack force" and it is calculated by multiplying the weight of the rods and the fluid column by the distance they travel. This force is important in determining the efficiency and stability of the pump jack operation.

What is fracture mechanics and how does it relate to pump jack force?

Fracture mechanics is the study of how materials behave under stress and the mechanisms of crack propagation. In the case of pump jacks, fracture mechanics is important because the force applied by the pump jack can cause cracks and fractures in the well, affecting its production and potentially leading to costly repairs.

How can pump jack force be optimized to prevent fractures?

To prevent fractures, the pump jack force needs to be optimized by balancing the weight of the rods and the fluid column with the distance they travel. This can be achieved by adjusting the pump jack's mechanical settings and ensuring regular maintenance to prevent wear and tear.

What are some common factors that can contribute to pump jack force-induced fractures?

Some common factors that can contribute to pump jack force-induced fractures include overloading the pump jack with too much weight, improper maintenance and lubrication, and poor alignment of the pump jack components. It is important to regularly monitor and address these factors to prevent fractures and ensure the smooth operation of the pump jack.