Pump Probe Spectroscopy: Introduction to a Powerful Technique

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of pump-probe techniques, with the person asking for recommendations on introductory articles or books. The conversation also mentions the use of laser spectroscopy and time-resolved techniques for studying nanocrystals, specifically through transient-absorption spectroscopy. There is also a suggestion to use Google for free articles on the subject.
Imperatore
Hello there !

I am looking for a brief description of a pump probe technique. I am rather new to this subject, so I am interesting in such a good introductory articles or books. Your own explanations are always welcome ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
No sub here ;)

Since you seem to be interested in free articles, why not give google a try? I just try typing "pump-probe spectroscopy" and I got some things that you may be interested in. As for books, I only know "Laser Spectroscopy Volume 2" by Demtroeder. This book specializes in exploring various experimental techniques using lasers, some of which involve time-resolved techniques. Chapter 6 might be what you are looking for.

Any ideas how these methods can be applied to study NCs?

If you tell me what an NC is, maybe.

NCs mean Nanocrystals in that case

Rebound, I think that the most used pomp and probe method to study NCs is Transient-absorption spectroscopy, but I am not quite sure. Could anybody verify this, and maybe know any other methods?

Last edited:

What is pump probe spectroscopy?

Pump probe spectroscopy is a technique used to study the dynamics of molecules and materials by applying a short pulse of energy (the pump) to excite the system and then measuring the changes in the system's properties over time using a second pulse of energy (the probe).

How does pump probe spectroscopy work?

In pump probe spectroscopy, the pump pulse excites the system, causing a change in its energy state. The probe pulse then measures the changes in the system's properties, such as absorption, emission, or reflectance, as a function of time. By varying the time delay between the pump and probe pulses, the dynamics of the system can be studied.

What types of materials can be studied using pump probe spectroscopy?

Pump probe spectroscopy can be applied to a wide range of materials, including liquids, solids, and gases. It is commonly used to study biological molecules, semiconductors, and other materials with fast dynamics.

What advantages does pump probe spectroscopy have over other spectroscopic techniques?

Pump probe spectroscopy offers several advantages over other techniques. It is non-destructive, meaning that the sample is not damaged during the measurement. It also has a high temporal resolution, allowing for the study of fast dynamics. Additionally, pump probe spectroscopy can be used to study a wide range of materials and processes.

What are some common applications of pump probe spectroscopy?

Pump probe spectroscopy has a wide range of applications in various fields, including chemistry, physics, biology, and materials science. It is commonly used to study chemical reactions, energy transfer processes, and biomolecular dynamics. It is also used in materials research to study the properties of semiconductors, solar cells, and other materials with fast dynamics.