1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pumped Energy Storage and Available Power

1. Sep 27, 2004 #1

Consider the Ludington Pumped Storage Plant. Water may flow out of the reservoir, through the penstocks, and down into Lake Michigan, at a volume rate of 1710 m3/s. The water is directed through turbines to turn electric generators to make electric power. The height of the water in the reservoir is h = 100 meters above the surface of Lake Michigan. How much power ( = energy per unit time) would be available if the Plant is operating with these parameters?

Tip: In one second the height of the surface drops by Deltah where ρ×A×∆k=μ×(1 sec). (ρ is the density of water, 1.0×103 kg/m3.) How much has the gravitational potential energy changed?

Ok So what i have done so far is convert the volum to mass

1710 m^3/s * 1000 kg/m^3 = 1710000 kg/s

Then I thought id use the formula

P = Mgh
    P = 1710000 * 9.81 * 100

and I got 1677510000 (watts?)

Well that wasnt the right answer, so i tried converting to kilowatt-hours

1677510000 W / 3600000 J = 465.975 kWh

Still not right.

I think my problem is because either the height of the water is changing, or i am using an incorrect height. I dont know. But any help would be great. (it is due tomorrow)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The link does not work.

Anyway, the power obtained in the turbine is:

[tex]W=Q*\Delta P_o[/tex]; where [Q]=[m^3/s] is the volumetric flow; [P_o]=[Pa] is the total pressure in both sides of the turbine.

In your case: [tex]P_{oentrance}-P_{oexit}=P_a+\rho g H[/tex]-P_a[/tex]

So that: [tex]W=\rho g H Q[/tex] where the units are:

[tex] [W]=\frac{Kg}{m^3} * \frac{m}{s^2}* m *\frac{m^3}{s}=\frac{J}{s}=Watt[/tex]

You said it doesn't work. Although the height of the reservoir is changing, in my opinion that change is cuasi-steady, so that the turbine power also changes with time W=W(H(t)). I need to view the drawing of your link to answer you better.
  4. Sep 28, 2004 #3

Science Advisor

A watt is a joule per second, which is a newton metre per second, which is a kilogram metre per second squared metre per second, which is a kg m^2/s^3. Now look at your formula: you multiplied kg/s times m/s^2 times m. That's a watt alright.

The second try is totally wrong. A kwh is a power times a time, so is a unit of energy, not power.
  5. Sep 28, 2004 #4
    here is the drawing

Attached Files:

• phy.jpg
      File size:
      6 KB
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?