Find Work to Pump Water from an Inverted Cone Tank

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the work required to pump water from a tank with specific dimensions and depth. The solution involves calculating the weight of the water and using integration to find the total work. It is important to verify calculations and provide clear units and limits of integration for accuracy.
blessedcurse

Homework Statement

A tank is in the shape of an inverted right circular cone with a radius of 10 feet and a height of 6 feet. Assume the tank contains water to a depth of 4 feet. Find the work required to pump all but 1 foot of water from the tank.

Homework Equations

W=[tex]\int^{b}_{a}Fdx[/tex]
F= weight*[tex]\Delta[/tex]v
[tex]\Delta[/tex]v=[tex]\pi[/tex]r[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]y
weight of water=62.4 ft/lb

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\Delta[/tex]v=[tex]\pi[/tex](5y/3)[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]y
[tex]\Delta[/tex]v=25[tex]\pi[/tex]/9*y[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]y

F=62.4*25[tex]\pi[/tex]/9*y[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]y
F=544.54y[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]y

W=[tex]\int^{6}_{1}544.54y^{2}(6-y)dy[/tex]
W=[tex]\int^{6}_{1}3267.26y^{2}-544.54y^{3}dy[/tex]
W=[tex][1089.09y^{3}-136.14y^{4}]^{6}_{1}[/tex]
W=235242.46-176431.84-1089.09+136.14

W=57857.67 ft*lb

Did I do my work correctly? Help please! Thank you much!

Physics news on Phys.org

I would suggest verifying your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy. It would also be helpful to provide units for each variable and to clearly define the limits of integration. Additionally, it may be beneficial to provide a diagram or visualization of the tank to better understand the problem. Overall, your approach seems reasonable, but it is always important to double check your work to ensure accuracy.

1. How does the inverted cone tank system work?

The inverted cone tank system works by utilizing the principle of gravity. The tank is designed in a cone shape, with the narrow end at the bottom. Water is pumped into the tank from the top, and due to the cone shape, the water will flow down towards the bottom, creating pressure that forces the water out through a pipe at the top of the tank.

2. What is the purpose of using an inverted cone tank?

The purpose of using an inverted cone tank is to efficiently pump and store water in a compact space. The design of the tank allows for gravity to assist in pumping the water, reducing the need for additional energy or machinery.

3. How do I determine the size of the inverted cone tank needed for my project?

The size of the inverted cone tank needed will depend on several factors, such as the amount of water needed, the desired flow rate, and the height of the tank. It is best to consult with a professional to determine the appropriate size for your specific project.

4. Can an inverted cone tank be used for other purposes besides pumping water?

Yes, an inverted cone tank can be used for other purposes besides pumping water. It can be used to store various liquids, such as oil or chemicals, and can also be used in industrial processes for mixing or separating materials.

5. How do I maintain an inverted cone tank system?

Maintenance of an inverted cone tank system includes regular cleaning and inspection of the tank and its components. The pump and pipes should also be checked for any clogs or damage. It is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for maintenance and to address any issues promptly to ensure the system is functioning properly.