Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pumping system formulas

1. Sep 25, 2006 #1
    I am working on a project that requires the changing of the radius of a pipe then finding the pressure of this pipe. There are two chambers C1 and C2 the liquide with x density is pumped into C2 using a piston pump. The liqude in C2 drains back to C1 at a constant rate of a. The radius of the pipe from the pump to C2 is r. t is the amount of time that the level f is maintained. f is a constant.

Also please let me know what data would need to be found if this is not enough so that i can find a means to get this data as well.

The formulas are the main thing holding this project back I want to know the design works. If anyone can help me this is my first time working with fluid dynamics.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Star. I think you're trying to find pressure drop through a pipe connecting two chambers. The pipe is bent, perhaps in a horseshoe shape or something. And you have a flow rate, a. Is that right?

Pressure drop is calculated using the D'Arcy-Weisbach equation, which you can find information about here:
    If you want to know how to calculate the equivalent length of pipe for some oddball bend, that's covered by the Crane Technical Paper #410 which you can purchase online here:
  4. Sep 27, 2006 #3
    Bernoullis equation is the basic fluid flow equation is it not. You can do a lot with that.
  5. Sep 27, 2006 #4
    Thanks for the help. The thing I am trying to figure out is really the amount of pressure needed to send a liquide through a straight pipe. Also I will have a straigh pipe that connects the pumping chamber with another chamber the chamber drains at a constant rate the pump is a hand pump so I need to figure out what the pressure being released by the pump to maintian the level of the liquide in the chamber.
    data i have:
    r = radius of pipe
    l = liquide level
    L = length of pipe
    t = time maintained
    h = number of times the person pumped

6. Oct 4, 2006 #5
    You definately need the liquids properties.
  7. Jun 6, 2008 #6
    Check for Bernouill formula,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?