Optimizing Pumping System Formulas for Efficient Fluid Dynamics

In summary: StarIn summary, this project involves changing the radius of a pipe and calculating the pressure of the liquid flowing through it. The pipe connects two chambers, with the liquid being pumped from C1 to C2 at a constant rate. The formulas needed to solve this problem are the D'Arcy-Weisbach equation and the Crane Technical Paper #410. Additionally, data needed includes the radius of the pipe, liquid level, length of pipe, time maintained, and number of times the pump is used. Bernoulli's formula may also be useful in this project.
starripper
I am working on a project that requires the changing of the radius of a pipe then finding the pressure of this pipe. There are two chambers C1 and C2 the liquide with x density is pumped into C2 using a piston pump. The liqude in C2 drains back to C1 at a constant rate of a. The radius of the pipe from the pump to C2 is r. t is the amount of time that the level f is maintained. f is a constant.

Also please let me know what data would need to be found if this is not enough so that i can find a means to get this data as well.

The formulas are the main thing holding this project back I want to know the design works. If anyone can help me this is my first time working with fluid dynamics.

Thanks,
Starripper

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Star. I think you're trying to find pressure drop through a pipe connecting two chambers. The pipe is bent, perhaps in a horseshoe shape or something. And you have a flow rate, a. Is that right?

Pressure drop is calculated using the D'Arcy-Weisbach equation, which you can find information about here:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/darcy-weisbach-equation-d_646.html
If you want to know how to calculate the equivalent length of pipe for some oddball bend, that's covered by the Crane Technical Paper #410 which you can purchase online here:
http://www.tp410.com/

Bernoullis equation is the basic fluid flow equation is it not. You can do a lot with that.

Thanks for the help. The thing I am trying to figure out is really the amount of pressure needed to send a liquide through a straight pipe. Also I will have a straigh pipe that connects the pumping chamber with another chamber the chamber drains at a constant rate the pump is a hand pump so I need to figure out what the pressure being released by the pump to maintian the level of the liquide in the chamber.
data i have:
r = radius of pipe
l = liquide level
L = length of pipe
t = time maintained
h = number of times the person pumped

Thanks,
Star

You definitely need the liquids properties.

Check for Bernouill formula,

Regards,

1. What is the formula for calculating pump flow rate?

The formula for calculating pump flow rate is Q = V x A, where Q is the flow rate (in gallons per minute), V is the velocity (in feet per second), and A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe (in square feet).

2. How do I calculate the total head in a pumping system?

The formula for calculating total head in a pumping system is H = Hs + Hf + Hv, where Hs is the static head (the vertical distance between the pump and the highest point of the discharge pipe), Hf is the friction head (the pressure loss due to friction in the pipe), and Hv is the velocity head (the pressure loss due to the velocity of the fluid).

3. How do I determine the required pump power?

The formula for calculating required pump power is P = (Q x H x ρ x g)/η, where P is the power (in watts), Q is the flow rate (in cubic meters per second), H is the total head (in meters), ρ is the fluid density (in kilograms per cubic meter), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and η is the pump efficiency.

4. What is the formula for calculating pump efficiency?

The formula for calculating pump efficiency is η = (Pout/Pin) x 100%, where η is the efficiency (in percentage), Pout is the output power (in watts), and Pin is the input power (in watts).

5. How do I calculate the required pump size?

The formula for calculating required pump size is Q = (A x V)/60, where Q is the flow rate (in gallons per minute), A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe (in square inches), and V is the desired velocity (in feet per minute).