Pumps and Bernoulli's equation

In summary: Brown, an engineer and spokesperson for the American Pump Manufacturers Association, said that the pressure increase a pump produces is due to the increased velocity of the fluid.
fog37
TL;DR Summary
understanding how pumps work
Hello,

My understanding is that pumps (whatever type) add energy to the fluid and cause the fluid to move. The fluid can be either brought to a higher elevation or not.

I am unclear on how pumps "provide a larger pressure". Do they? If so, in what sense? Are pumps simply speeding up, i.e. increasing the kinetic energy, of the fluid (gas or liquid) that is pulled inside the pump case and the pressure increase discussed with pumps is nothing but the increase in "dynamic pressure" that the fluid would experience at if brought to rest at a stagnation point after it exist the pump?

Engineering news on Phys.org
fog37 said:
My understanding is that pumps (whatever type) add energy to the fluid and cause the fluid to move. The fluid can be either brought to a higher elevation or not.
Typically it is said that pumps apply or create a pressure, which causes a fluid to move, similar to how you would say you apply a force to a box to push it across the floor.
I am unclear on how pumps "provide a larger pressure". Do they? If so, in what sense?
Two most common methods are pistons, which directly push on the fluid and centrifugal, which actually use a combination of centrifugal force from spinning the fluid and a hydrodynamic lift effect (like a wing).
Are pumps simply speeding up, i.e. increasing the kinetic energy, of the fluid (gas or liquid) that is pulled inside the pump case and the pressure increase discussed with pumps is nothing but the increase in "dynamic pressure" that the fluid would experience at if brought to rest at a stagnation point after it exist the pump?
You get both an increase in static and dynamic pressure.

In a centrifugal pump, the impeller increases the velocity of the fluid - kinetic energy. The fast-moving fluid then passes through the diffuser or volute, which has a larger exit area. This slows the fluid; the kinetic energy is "converted" to pressure.

Likes ShellScot and russ_watters
Understanding the cutting of said "Impeller" is a whole profession in itself. Berkley Sta right have been doing this foreva. To learn impellers, their unique physics will provide a step up in fluid dynamics as a whole...
Possibly contact someone at those Companies. They may be able to provide plethora of solid information..
Sheldon

1. What is a pump?

A pump is a mechanical device that is used to move fluids, such as liquids or gases, from one location to another. It works by creating a pressure difference that forces the fluid to flow through the system.

2. How does a pump work?

A pump works by using a motor or other energy source to create a pressure difference between the inlet and outlet of the pump. This pressure difference causes the fluid to flow through the pump and into the desired location.

3. What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that describes the relationship between the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid in motion. It states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases and vice versa.

4. How is Bernoulli's equation related to pumps?

Bernoulli's equation is related to pumps because it helps to explain how pumps are able to move fluids. By increasing the velocity of the fluid, the pressure decreases, allowing the fluid to be pushed through the pump and into the desired location.

5. What are some practical applications of pumps and Bernoulli's equation?

Pumps and Bernoulli's equation have many practical applications, including water distribution systems, hydraulic systems, and air conditioning systems. They are also used in industries such as oil and gas, agriculture, and manufacturing for various fluid transportation and processing purposes.