Pumps vs. Compressors: Understanding the Differences and Interchangeability

In summary, pumps are used to increase the head or vertical height of a fluid, while compressors are used to increase the pressure of a fluid. Theoretically, they can be used interchangeably, but in specific applications, it is not possible due to different performance characteristics and constraints such as efficiency, overheating, and dead volume to displacement ratios. Pumps are designed for fluids, while compressors are used with gases. Direct displacement pumps are similar to compressors and can achieve high pressure with low flow, but they are used for highly viscous fluids like heating oil. In contrast, compressors continue to compress until reaching maximum pressure and shut off, while direct displacement pumps have relief valves to prevent bursting from stopped flow. Overall, while
sayhaitopalani
pumps r compressors?

a pump is used to increase the head of the fluid and a compressor is used to increase the pressure of the fluid...this pressure head is a form of energy and is transferable to other form [say increase in vertical height the fluid is raised]
so can i use a pump and a compressor interchangeably... i.e.can i use a compressor to pump a fluid and can i use a pump to compress a compressible fluid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Theoretically, yes. In specific applications, no.

why it is not possible to use it practically...what are the constraints that make this impossible?...

Originally posted by sayhaitopalani
why it is not possible to use it practically...what are the constraints that make this impossible?...

Russ is the mechanical engineer so he can answer this best. I can add is that pumps are designed to operate at a peak efficiency along a specific curve that relates to pressure and volumetric flow. So, to use a compressor as a pump likely means less or much less efficiency than if the proper pump was chosen. To use a pump as a compressor would probably create overheating problems. Note the large cooling fins on your air compressor.

Last edited:
Pumps, compressors, fans, nozzles, pipes, ducts, anything that you use to move a fluid has a relatively specific range of performance characteristics, like I.S. said.

i don't understand...can u give me a little detailed information please...

Consider a piston/cylinder and two valves; now consider the dead volume to displacement ratio for this assembly; now consider the dead volume to diplacement ratios that can be attained in the real world.

Usuing the piston/cylinder example (aka reciprocating compressor):

The pistons in the compresor compress air and fill up a tank. A bicycle pump works exactly the same way. With a simple, inexpensive compressor you can easily get 150psi. If you need a little bit of air (5 cubic feet or so for something you might get at Home Depot) at reasonably high pressures (30-150psi), it works great. It works with a low volume of air at high pressure. But it doesn't work very well at all as a fan because it isn't capable of moving a high volume of air at low pressure.

A typical air handler (commercial air condtioner) generates a pressure of 2.5" of water or 0.09psi. Inches of water is used to make the numbers easier to work with since the pressure is so small. A room fan generates even less. So with a good air handler or fan you move hundreds or thousands of cubic feet of air per minute, but at a very small pressure. You can't use your air conditioner to pump up the tires on your car.

So the two devices, a compressor and a fan, do the same thing in a thermodynamic sense - they move and pressurize air - but as real components of real machines they are not interchangeable.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you mean the exact design criteria that fixes the operational range of a device?

Compressors are used with gas, which can be compressed. Pumps are used with fluids, which basically are incompressable.

Direct displacement pumps are similar in design to compressors and can achieve high pressure with relatively low flow they are used for highly viscous fluids such as Heating oil.

With a compressor if the flow is stopped it continues to compress until it reaches the maximum pressure setting and shuts off. With a direct displacement pump flow is usually bypassed if the unit does not require it and relief valves are installed at the pump to keep the pressure from bursting the pump body or piping should the flow become stopped.

Originally posted by Artman
Compressors are used with gas, which can be compressed. Pumps are used with fluids, which basically are incompressable.

Direct displacement pumps are similar in design to compressors and can achieve high pressure with relatively low flow they are used for highly viscous fluids such as Heating oil.

With a compressor if the flow is stopped it continues to compress until it reaches the maximum pressure setting and shuts off. With a direct displacement pump flow is usually bypassed if the unit does not require it and relief valves are installed at the pump to keep the pressure from bursting the pump body or piping should the flow become stopped.

Without meaning to detract from the quality of your post, I should point out that technically, gases AND liquids are fluids. On an even more extreme note, nearly all solids can be seen to display fluidic properties over very long periods of time. Like I said though, I don't mean to take away from your main points.

Oops. You are correct that gases are considered fluids (and solids also display fluid properties). I should have said liquids. Correct terminology is one of my (many) weak points.

In machinery, gas and liquid often cannot be treated interchangably. A slug of water in a steam turbine can shatter the impeller, steam forming in a centrifugal pump moving water is caviation and can damage the system.

got the answer from Russ and Artman...thnx guys...

What is the main difference between pumps and compressors?

The main difference between pumps and compressors is the way they work. Pumps are used to increase the pressure of a liquid, while compressors are used to increase the pressure of a gas. This means that pumps are typically used to move liquids, such as water or oil, while compressors are used to compress gases, such as air or natural gas.

Can pumps and compressors be used interchangeably?

No, pumps and compressors are not interchangeable. They are designed to perform different functions and have different components. Attempting to use one in place of the other can result in damage to the equipment and potentially dangerous conditions.

What are the common types of pumps and compressors?

Common types of pumps include centrifugal, positive displacement, and diaphragm pumps. Common types of compressors include reciprocating, rotary, and centrifugal compressors. Each type has its own unique design and application.

How do pumps and compressors impact energy efficiency?

Pumps and compressors can have a significant impact on energy efficiency. In general, pumps are more energy efficient than compressors because they typically require less power to operate. However, proper maintenance and selection of the right type of equipment can greatly improve the energy efficiency of both pumps and compressors.

Which one is better for a specific application: a pump or a compressor?

The choice between a pump and a compressor depends on the specific application. For example, if you need to move water from one location to another, a pump would be the better option. If you need to compress air for a pneumatic tool, a compressor would be the better choice. It is important to carefully consider the requirements of the application to determine which type of equipment is most suitable.