What is the secret behind Shi Yan Ming's extraordinary punching power?

In summary: Without good references, your posts will be removed. In summary, my friend and professional boxer says that the key to his power is not fear, but perfect motion. He says that most people punch incorrectly because they are afraid of being hit, and that he can hit someone hard without causing any damage because he focuses his energy on the target without worrying about hurting himself. Finally, he claims that this power is not limited to his fists, and that he can move any object with just a flick of his wrist.
danboy777
TL;DR Summary
How Can A Slow Punch From an Average Size Guy Generate More Force Than a Fast Strong Heavy 6th Degree Black Belt with Brick Smashing Guinness Book Records?
Hi everyone. So my attempt to try and understand something has led me here.

A friend of mine and myself since we've been teenagers in the 80's have studied and enjoyed the martial arts. He much more so than me but nonetheless I've been around it and seen a lot of things, felt a lot of strikes and have some understanding of the science of striking power. But I'm wondering if someone here can do a good job of helping me understand it more.

He is known all over the world for having the ability to punch with such deep penetrating force that it's hard to even fathom. He's studied striking power and obsessed over it since we were kids. In the last 15 years I've watched and felt his power get even more bizarre, it humbles the most seasoned of fighting arts veterans. This isn't some weird left field praying in a corner with crystals kind of thing.

When we discuss it he says it has to do with perfect motion. He shares for example if you've ever hit your shin on a coffee table at 3am as you stumble to the kitchen or bathroom in the dark you'll gain some understanding. 1) You didn't know the table was there. 2) The table didn't know you were there. 3) Your mass and your mind were unaware completely you were about to hit the table. He says when most people punch they have fear of being hit themselves by the opponent and they see the opponent as the target. The "trick" which he's spent 30 of his 40 years mastering he says is having NO FEAR, thinking more like a bullet (if bullets thought) in that you go through uninterrupted the opponent before you. Which he claims is the 90% of understanding.

The other 10% he says is perfect motion. Like a door on a hinge. The door example indeed brings up the couple times I've slammed fingers in a door. ANYWAY... one martial artist I interviewed told me he'd expected to come home all bruised after a session working with Sam. To his surprise there was no bruising. He said NEVER had he felt that kind of power and from any angle and any distance at will Sam could hit him. When he asked Sam how come there was no bruising, he replied, "because I directed it below the surface".

Even on the ground grappling a flick of the wrist is all it takes and it will end any grappling move or hold. One guy I know holds world records for smashing bricks. He's 6'3" tall 300 pounds and mostly muscle. He also holds 2 blackbelts 6th and 7th degree. He said and I quote, "Sam toys with me. I'm not afraid of anyone but Sam scares the #$^@ out of me. Nobody can throw me around or hit me at will like Sam".

This leads me to two last things in trying to understand the physics of this. He can also with a single finger pointing out move you anywhere he wants walking at a normal pace this too he says has to do with perfect motion. AND he can take an all out full on blast from guys that fight professionally. To the gut or chest. He says that has to do with stealing someones intention among other things. So yeah, jedi mind tricks come to play here too. I've experienced this personally many times.

I might add that if you watch it, it's not impressive. I'd add too that unlike seeing a guy hit a bodybag to have it fold around his hand and jump to the ceiling... that doesn't happen when he strikes a bag. But then a bullet wouldn't move a bag either...? HE CAN make a bag dance but he is quick to point out that "that" is not this (picture lol magic fist).

Can anyone expand on the physics of this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are asking about metaphysics which is probably inappropriate for this forum.

Fred Wright said:
You are asking about metaphysics which is probably inappropriate for this forum.
Fred Wright said:
That's a good point. I guess I was thinking "science" minded people tend to (In my experience) dispense with supernatural. They tend to look for an answer employing science. I thought someone might have an interesting angle.

danboy777 said:
That's a good point. I guess I was thinking "science" minded people tend to (In my experience) dispense with supernatural. They tend to look for an answer employing science. I thought someone might have an interesting angle.
Welcome to PhysicsForums.

We require good links and references as starting points for technical discussions here. Your post is filled with extraordinary statements which need to be justified with reliable links. Not links to blogs and YouTube videos -- links to scientific publications looking at things like the physics of a punch. We have a number of folks on the forum who practice martial arts regularly, so as long as you improve this thread start with some good reference, it could lead to a good discussion.

Thank you. :smile:

While there is a lot of science behind power punching, on an individual basis, it comes down to mental and physical training. During interviews with Bruce Lee, he often spoke of concentrating all the force he could, into a blow. While youtube videos aren't the most informative of media, they are good visual aids. Some of the footage of Bruce Lee demostrating his 1 inch punch (actually more than an inch but impressive nevertheless) have commentary that help illustrate some of his techneque to concentrate his force. This one of many - - may shed some light on how he accomplished this.

Likes Lnewqban
Likes HenryE

What does it mean to punch harder than anyone?

Punching harder than anyone refers to having a greater amount of force and impact behind a punch compared to others. This can be achieved through physical training, technique, and natural strength.

Is punching harder than anyone a natural ability or can it be learned?

While some individuals may have a natural predisposition for punching harder, it is also a skill that can be learned and improved upon through training and practice.

What are some ways to increase punching power?

Some ways to increase punching power include strengthening the muscles used in punching, improving technique and form, and developing speed and coordination.

Are there any risks associated with punching harder than anyone?

Yes, there are risks associated with punching harder than anyone, including potential injuries to the hands, wrists, and arms. It is important to train safely and use proper form to minimize these risks.

Can punching harder than anyone be beneficial in self-defense situations?

Yes, having the ability to punch harder can be beneficial in self-defense situations as it can help to subdue an attacker and protect oneself. However, it is important to use this skill responsibly and only in necessary situations.