Punctured pipeline

• Thread starter kolis
  • Start date
Hi,
I've got punctured pressurized pipeline transporting an oil. Diameter of pipeline is 50 mm and diameter of the hole is only 2 mm. Pressure in the pipeline is 20 bar and pressure outside is atmospherical. The rate of transported oil is 2m3 per hour and I need to estimate released volume of oil, while pump is still working so I have two flows: one through the hole and another one continous in pipeline after the hole.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Hi,
I've got punctured pressurized pipeline transporting an oil. Diameter of pipeline is 50 mm and diameter of the hole is only 2 mm. Pressure in the pipeline is 20 bar and pressure outside is atmospherical. The rate of transported oil is 2m3 per hour and I need to estimate released volume of oil, while pump is still working so I have two flows: one through the hole and another one continous in pipeline after the hole.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the PF.

Is this question for schoolwork?

No it's not schoolwork.it has happened and I would like to know how much oil has leaked out.

Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Ok. But I've still got a problem with understanding this: When I've got a hole in a pipe there are two flows (one trough a hole and 2nd in pipe), so the flow through the hole is just a fraction of incoming flow. In equation it should be Qin=Qhole + Qpipe after hole and when I calculate flow through an orifice its just one flow so Qin=Qorifice
Or am I wrong?

Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Yes, flow through orifice is a fraction of total flow in. Let's say the flow out the orifice is 2 GPM which equates to 0.45 cubic meters per hour. If you have a flow of only 2.00 cubic meters per hour before the orifice, you only have a flow of 1.55 cubic meters after the orifice.

Ok.
I've found another equation to estimate leakage amount through small holes in a pipeline. It says:
Q=0.61A(2gh)^0.5

where
Q is flow in cu. ft./second
A is cross sectional area, sq. ft.
g is gravitational constant, ft/sec^2
h is head, feet
It looks like this is the right equation for me. Problem is, I dont know what is head or how can I calculate. Any help?

Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member