Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Punctured pipeline

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    Hi,
    I've got punctured pressurized pipeline transporting an oil. Diameter of pipeline is 50 mm and diameter of the hole is only 2 mm. Pressure in the pipeline is 20 bar and pressure outside is atmospherical. The rate of transported oil is 2m3 per hour and I need to estimate released volume of oil, while pump is still working so I have two flows: one through the hole and another one continous in pipeline after the hole.
    Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Is this question for schoolwork?

4. Oct 10, 2011 #3
    No it's not schoolwork.it has happened and I would like to know how much oil has leaked out.

5. Oct 10, 2011 #4

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Oct 11, 2011 #5
    Ok. But I've still got a problem with understanding this: When I've got a hole in a pipe there are two flows (one trough a hole and 2nd in pipe), so the flow through the hole is just a fraction of incoming flow. In equation it should be Qin=Qhole + Qpipe after hole and when I calculate flow through an orifice its just one flow so Qin=Qorifice
    Or am I wrong?

7. Oct 11, 2011 #6

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, flow through orifice is a fraction of total flow in. Let's say the flow out the orifice is 2 GPM which equates to 0.45 cubic meters per hour. If you have a flow of only 2.00 cubic meters per hour before the orifice, you only have a flow of 1.55 cubic meters after the orifice.

8. Oct 11, 2011 #7
    Ok.
    I've found another equation to estimate leakage amount through small holes in a pipeline. It says:
    Q=0.61A(2gh)^0.5

where
    Q is flow in cu. ft./second
    A is cross sectional area, sq. ft.
    g is gravitational constant, ft/sec^2
    h is head, feet
    It looks like this is the right equation for me. Problem is, I dont know what is head or how can I calculate. Any help?

9. Oct 11, 2011 #8

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook