Purcell 10.15: Water Dipoles

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the surface charge density at the upper surface of a cup of water if all the molecular dipoles are pointing down. Different methods are suggested, but it is determined that the best approach is to use the ideas from Chapter 10. The text provides the permanent dipole moment of a water molecule and explains how to calculate the polarization and surface charge density from this. It is also mentioned that the volume density of water molecules, N, can be calculated from the mass density and molar mass of water. Finally, the correct calculation for the surface charge density is determined to be 6e22 esu/cm^2 or 1.3e32 electrons per square centimeter.
ResonantW

Homework Statement

Imagine that all the molecular dipoles in a cup of water could be made to point down. Calculate the magnitude of the resulting surface charge density at the upper surface of the water, and express it in electrons per square centimeter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I just find the number of water molecules per square centimeter of area, knowing the approximate size of an H2O molecules, and then say that since all the dipoles point down we will have 2 electrons for every such molecule along the surface?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should approach it from the ideas developed in chapter 10. The text gives you the permanent dipole moment, p, of a water molecule. It also explains how to go from dipole moment per molecule to the polarization P. From P you can get the surface charge density. :smile:

Got it! Why wouldn't the first method work?

Also, do I know the volume density of water molecules, because that would be what Purcell calls N, correct?

ResonantW said:
Got it! Why wouldn't the first method work?

I don't think you can assume two electrons per molecule. The effective surface charge per surface molecule would depend on the amount of polarization of each molecule, p .
Also, do I know the volume density of water molecules, because that would be what Purcell calls N, correct?

Right. You'll need to determine N, the number water molecules per cm3. See if you can calculate it from the mass density of water and the molar mass of water.

I get that P= 6e22 esu/cm^2. Is that equivalent to the surface charge density?

I can also express this as 1.3e32 electrons per square centimeter.

ResonantW said:
I get that P= 6e22 esu/cm^2. Is that equivalent to the surface charge density?

I can also express this as 1.3e32 electrons per square centimeter.

I think you overlooked the caption for Fig. 10.14 which states that the dipole moments given in the figure are in units of ##10^{-18}## esu-cm. Otherwise, looks good.

1. What is the significance of Purcell 10.15 in relation to water dipoles?

Purcell 10.15 refers to a specific section in the textbook "Electricity and Magnetism" written by Edward Purcell, which discusses the concept of water dipoles. This section is important as it explains the behavior and properties of water molecules in relation to their polarity.

2. How do water dipoles contribute to the properties of water?

The presence of water dipoles, or the separation of positive and negative charges within a water molecule, allows water to exhibit unique properties such as being a polar solvent, having a high melting and boiling point, and being able to form hydrogen bonds.

3. Can you explain the concept of dipole moment in relation to water dipoles?

Dipole moment refers to the measure of the separation of charges within a molecule. In the case of water dipoles, the dipole moment is the measure of the separation between the positive and negative charges within a water molecule. This dipole moment is what allows water molecules to attract each other and form hydrogen bonds.

4. How do water dipoles affect the surface tension of water?

The presence of water dipoles creates a strong attraction between water molecules, resulting in a high surface tension. This is because the water molecules at the surface are more strongly attracted to other water molecules below them, creating a "skin" on the surface of the water.

5. What is the role of water dipoles in the dielectric constant of water?

The dielectric constant is a measure of a material's ability to store electrical energy. Water has a high dielectric constant due to the presence of water dipoles, which can align in response to an external electric field. This property makes water an effective solvent for charged particles and allows for the transmission of electrical signals in biological systems.