Purcell to Jackson: Is Griffith's Electrodynamics a Good Next Step?

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between Griffith's Electrodynamics and Purcell's book on electricity. They also discuss the level of difficulty for graduate level electrodynamics books and mention taking Jackson after Purcell. The conversation also touches on the importance of understanding the concepts behind Purcell's book and suggests alternative textbooks such as Schwartz and Landau&Lifshitz vol. II for a modern relativistic approach. Overall, it is recommended to choose Jackson over Purcell for a better foundation.
Sho Kano
I heard that Griffith's Electrodynamics is at a similar level of Purcell's book on electricity; is it fine if someone goes into a graduate level electrodynamics book right after Purcell?

Physics news on Phys.org
I took Jackson after Purcell. Got an A. However, I had a class in advanced calculus out of Hildebrand and another one in math methods out of Butkov, and I bought a copy of Wangsness if I needed some easier problems to warm up with.

The math is a big jump from Purcell, but what about the concepts? Would that book be an adequate transition?

Well, I think Jackson can help to understand the concepts behind Purcell's book better, but I'm prejudiced, because I don't like Purcell's book, because I think he overcomplicates the relativistic foundation of E&M rather than simplifying it. I think rather than reading Purcell you should take Schwartz and Landau&Lifshitz vol. II for the modern relativsitic approach. Jackson is a comprehensive more conventional book in the tradition of 20th century textbooks, emphasizing the non-relativistic view and only in the later chapters introducing relativity. Nevertheless, Jackson is way better than Purcell concerning the foundations.

1. What is the main focus of Purcell to Jackson?

The main focus of Purcell to Jackson is to provide a comprehensive understanding of Griffith's Electrodynamics, a fundamental topic in the field of electrodynamics.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in the field of electrodynamics?

No, this book assumes that the reader has a solid foundation in the basic concepts of electrodynamics. It is recommended for advanced students or researchers in the field.

3. How does this book differ from other textbooks on electrodynamics?

Purcell to Jackson offers a unique approach to teaching electrodynamics by building upon the concepts introduced in Griffith's Electrodynamics. It also includes more advanced topics and applications, making it a valuable resource for further studies in the field.

4. Are there any prerequisites for understanding the material in this book?

Yes, readers should have a strong understanding of vector calculus, differential equations, and classical mechanics. A background in introductory electrodynamics is also recommended.

5. Is this book relevant for current research in the field of electrodynamics?

Yes, this book covers a wide range of topics and includes recent advancements in the field of electrodynamics, making it a valuable resource for researchers and academics.