Buy Matlab for Your Engineering Studies

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter NotoriousNick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, there are no longer student versions of MATLAB that students can purchase. Most schools will have computers in their labs with Matlab loaded onto them that you can use. Since that probably won't work for you, I suggest you read my PM.
NotoriousNick
I am a part-time online graduate engineering student, and am required to use Matlab for some of my homeworks but do not know where I can purchase or obtain it.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are no longer student versions of MATLAB that students can purchase. Most schools will have computers in their labs with Matlab loaded onto them that you can use. Since that probably won't work for you, I suggest you read my PM.

Scilab is another option. whether it would be compatible with the homework assignments is another story.

Scilab and Octave have no where near the power that MATLAB does. They are just simple CAS/matrix solvers and are just about worthless for any extensive scientific calculations.

i don't think that's anywhere close to being true, Topher925. i used MATLAB quite a bit several years ago, and the main benefit to MATLAB is the large collection of Toolboxes that you can buy at extra expense to perform the operations you want. but those Toolboxes were just scripts that you could write yourself if you knew what you were doing. not sure if they still issue Toolboxes as scripts or if they're compiled libraries now for the speed benefit. but what you get out of it is what you put into it.

One could argue that Matlab is "worthless" for real extensive scientific calculations as well.

minger said:
One could argue that Matlab is "worthless" for real extensive scientific calculations as well.

And how could one support that argument? Matlab has a built in C-compiler which can compile MATLAB code into C code for increased speed. Matlab's power doesn't just come from its ability to compute numbers, but its tools and abilities to show that data as well. AFAIK, Octave of Scilab don't have animation tools or matlab's rendering capabilities.

ProtonSoup, I think they have gone a step above just script files for toolboxes. For example, I don't believe the symbolic or polynomial toolboxes are just script files but actual add-ons that need to be installed. Thats the way it is on my computer anyway.

well, I'm not going to deny that MATLAB has the better product. they should, they've got a staff of people devoted to making it so. but if you can't afford or justify purchasing it, i think Scilab is the next best thing out there. Octave is also popular, but IMO a lot of that has to do with it being under a GNU license. even though Scilab is available for free use, it's license is not "free enough" for some of the die-hard open source fans. so they will choose a less capable product simply on principle.

Since the Octave code, for simple homework calculations, is the same as Matlab, I'd just download Octave for the time being. It will in 99% of the cases mean that you can run the scripts also at the school - or if your online teachers will want to see and run the script, it should work.

If you ever need to do anything other than make simple .m scripts, then consider another program, or buying Matlab.

1. What is Matlab?

Matlab is a high-level programming language used for numerical computing and data analysis. It is widely used in engineering and scientific fields for its powerful mathematical functions and user-friendly interface.

2. Why do I need Matlab for my engineering studies?

Matlab is a versatile tool that can be used for a variety of engineering applications, such as signal processing, image and video processing, control systems, and data analysis. It also has a large library of built-in functions and toolboxes that make it easier to solve complex problems.

3. How do I purchase Matlab for my engineering studies?

You can purchase Matlab directly from the MathWorks website or through a licensed vendor. You can choose from a variety of licensing options, including student and academic licenses, depending on your needs and budget.

4. Can I get a discount on Matlab for my engineering studies?

Yes, students and academic institutions are eligible for discounted pricing on Matlab licenses. You can also check for any current promotions or discounts on the MathWorks website.

5. Is there a trial version of Matlab for me to try before purchasing?

Yes, MathWorks offers a free 30-day trial of Matlab for individuals and organizations. This allows you to test out all the features and functionalities before making a purchase decision.