Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Purchases just sitten around collecting dust

1. Sep 7, 2005 #1

Gold Member

So what do you feel is the most expensive thing you bought that is just sitting around collecting dust (or something you rarely use thats expensive or something you thought you just HAD to have and never/rarely used it)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2005 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think he's asking "how many people have a treadmill?"
  4. Sep 7, 2005 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My coin collection is sitting around collecting dust. I still collect, but I have no use for it.

To be real about it, I have a Compound Bow sitting around. I got it for cheap because the Outdoor Store was closing down.

Other than that, probably 70% of my textbooks are sitting around collecting dusts, and they are items I just "had" to have.
  5. Sep 7, 2005 #4
    I don't buy stuff I have no use for... although my ipod doesn't get a lot of use any more, but it was a gift.

My bookshelf is pretty immobile too, I only read one book at a time see... :rolleyes:
  6. Sep 7, 2005 #5
    My bike. I spent about 2k on it and it is currently hanging in the garage. I do ride a bike almost everyday, just not it. Books too.
  7. Sep 7, 2005 #6

Staff: Mentor

I used to work out every day, I also used to look like a playboy centerfold. :frown: Now my equipment is gathering dust. It was that last glass through the knee and fall downstairs that ended my workouts and I just haven't had any incentive to get back into that kind of shape again.
  8. Sep 8, 2005 #7
    5 years ago i bought laboratory microscope ( Zeiss ) for like 3 K, and hardly ever used it. just sits there on my desk and collects dust.
  9. Sep 8, 2005 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

No dust-beladen purchase, no matter how expensive, is more depressing than having condoms gone past their expiration date..:frown:
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  10. Sep 8, 2005 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk!

(double meaning in that)
  11. Sep 8, 2005 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try goats ! :biggrin:
  12. Sep 8, 2005 #11

Gold Member

I bought a violin several years ago, planning to teach myself how to play. Nothing special, like for students, maybe $400-500 with all of the accessories, music, books, etc. But every time I tried to play it, I got images of the strings snapping and hitting me in the face, poking out an eye or something. So I never really played it.
    A couple years later, I met someone at a party and found out that he wrote music. He was really cool, even played me a few songs on the piano. So I asked him if he played the violin. He didn't, but his little sister did. So I gave it all to him for song, literally. You guys should consider giving your stuff to someone who can use it. It feels really good. :smile:
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  13. Sep 8, 2005 #12
    music albums.......................
    cowboys from hell of pantera... its so boring!!! :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:
  14. Sep 8, 2005 #13
    You can turn that record into a snack bowl! Put foil on a glass or pottery bowl, put the record on it. Pop it into a oven heated to around 300 degree. In about 2 minutes it will have melted around the shape of the bowl! Take it out, but don't mess with it untill it cools.
  15. Sep 8, 2005 #14
    Totally regret buying that 400 foot yacht which I never have time to use.
  16. Sep 8, 2005 #15
    Like HRW said, give it to somebody who needs it *caugh caugh* because it feels really good. *WINK WINK*

juvenal, did I mention how good you look today?
  17. Sep 8, 2005 #16

Gold Member

Really? Can we see some photos? :tongue2:

I, too, have a $500 bicycle that is collecting dust. I want to ride it, but I live in a tiny development that is sandwiched between two major highways. There is no place to ride around here, and my car is too small to get a bike inside. Hopefully,by next year I'll be able to afford a hatchback or small SUV big enough to take the bike for a ride in some of the less developed areas south of here.
  18. Sep 8, 2005 #17

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does this mean? Do you mean a surgical procedure, or an accident? More than one? Why?

Was "fall downstairs" related to all this? How?
  19. Sep 8, 2005 #18
    Oooh! Wanna sell it?
  20. Sep 8, 2005 #19
    Didn't know what to get the husband for his birthday, so I bought a fondue maker *pretty sure* it'd never get used. Time will tell.
  21. Sep 8, 2005 #20
    I've Fedex'ed it over to you in Ottawa. Should arrive in a few days. Enjoy.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?