Purdue vs. Illinois: Deciding on Electrical Engineering Major

• Thread starter ludi_srbin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Purdue
In summary, the person is trying to decide between Purdue and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for their Electrical Engineering degree, with a focus on Power Engineering and possibly a minor in physics. They are seeking advice and considering factors such as the city and overall feel of the school. Some people have shared their personal opinions on the drinking culture at the University of Illinois, but the person is still interested in pursuing their education there. They plan to visit both schools before making a decision.
ludi_srbin
Hi, I got accepted to Purdue and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, both in Electrical Engineering. Now it it would be time to decide which one to pick, and I have some trouble doing that. I mean I'm mostly interested in studying Power Engineering and maybe minor in physics. So I would like to ask if anyone here can help me out and give some suggestions, because I'm stuck and unable to decide.

Physics news on Phys.org
have you considered which city you would prefer to live in?

alfredblase said:
have you considered which city you would prefer to live in?

I didn't visit any of the two cities so I cannot make a judgment on that, but in any case academics is what I'm primarly interested in.

ludi_srbin said:
Hi, I got accepted to Purdue and University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, both in Electrical Engineering. Now it it would be time to decide which one to pick, and I have some trouble doing that. I mean I'm mostly interested in studying Power Engineering and maybe minor in physics. So I would like to ask if anyone here can help me out and give some suggestions, because I'm stuck and unable to decide.

Why do you want to study power engineering? I hate to rain on your parade, but the work is boring, and there isn't much opportunity in power. Most of the power engineering students end up working in electronics. You might as well study electronics.

ludi_srbin said:
I didn't visit any of the two cities so I cannot make a judgment on that, but in any case academics is what I'm primarly interested in.

Well, both schools are great academically. You wouldn't go wrong with either choice. However, the city the school is located and the feel of the school itself are both very important factors. You need to visit both schools to make a good decision.

leright said:
Why do you want to study power engineering? I hate to rain on your parade, but the work is boring, and there isn't much opportunity in power. Most of the power engineering students end up working in electronics. You might as well study electronics.

Well my problem with electronics is that the stuff you do is small and you don't see much, while the power engineering is a lot about the generators, and power plants, and big stuff. I think it is fair to say that I'm more interested in the physics of electricism and electromagnetism, but I don't want to find myself not being able to get PhD. in Physics and end up just with a undergradueate degree. So engineering comes like a back up. To secure myself in a financial way, and if I do well in college I can continue on with education, if I do bad at least I got engineering degree and can make a very nice living.

leright said:
Well, both schools are great academically. You wouldn't go wrong with either choice. However, the city the school is located and the feel of the school itself are both very important factors. You need to visit both schools to make a good decision.

Yeah, I will visit both of them by the May 1.

I visited these two schools and I just liked the feel of Illinois better. That and it's in-state so it was a lot cheaper than Purdue for virtually the same education. If you have any questions about Illinois feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can answer them.

I live in Champaign-Urbana and I love the place. The U of I has a great engineering school, I believe it's ranked as one of the best in the US. If you have any questions about Champaign or Urbana, feel free to ask.

mrchainsaw said:
I live in Champaign-Urbana and I love the place. The U of I has a great engineering school, I believe it's ranked as one of the best in the US. If you have any questions about Champaign or Urbana, feel free to ask.
I also live in Champaign, and honestly, I don't like the place. At all. Though its engineering department is excellent, the school as a whole is very much centered around drinking, and the atmosphere reflects that.

Manchot said:
I also live in Champaign, and honestly, I don't like the place. At all. Though its engineering department is excellent, the school as a whole is very much centered around drinking, and the atmosphere reflects that.

What are you talking about? There isn't more drinking at the U of I than there is at any other university. Plus there's only like 2 good bars. Topic creator, don't pay any attention to this post. There isn't an abnormal amount of drinking there and the atmosphere is just fine.

Manchot said:
The school is not centered around drinking at all. I mean you make it seem like people drink in class. The school part of it is completely separate from the drinking/parties.

Again I don't see why it makes a difference. If you want to go out drinking you have that option. If not there are plenty of other people with whom you can do something besides getting wasted.

I mean you make it seem like people drink in class.
Should I mention Unofficial?

What are you talking about? There isn't more drinking at the U of I than there is at any other university. Plus there's only like 2 good bars. Topic creator, don't pay any attention to this post. There isn't an abnormal amount of drinking there and the atmosphere is just fine.
You have your opinion, I have mine. I admit, I don't exactly know how much partying goes on at other schools. However, Illinois often lands on the top party school rankings, and I would assume that that is pretty objective.

Manchot said:
I admit, I don't exactly know how much partying goes on at other schools. However, Illinois often lands on the top party school rankings, and I would assume that that is pretty objective.

Maybe you should visit other schools and realize that Illinois drinking is just like other universities.

Manchot said:
Should I mention Unofficial?
:rofl:
Ok well I'll give you that one day.

I'm just saying that it gives you options. If you go to a "party" school you have the choice of partying or not. If you go to a "boring" school then you have limited options. Plus like chainsaw said Illinois isn't a lot different from other schools.

Yeah, Unofficial definitely did heavily involve lots of drinking, but that was one day.

Even if UI was a huge party school(which it isn't), YOU don't have to party or drink. That would only affect the students, not the professors or the quality of your education.

I'm just saying that it gives you options. If you go to a "party" school you have the choice of partying or not. If you go to a "boring" school then you have limited options. Plus like chainsaw said Illinois isn't a lot different from other schools.
Even if UI was a huge party school(which it isn't), YOU don't have to party or drink. That would only affect the students, not the professors or the quality of your education.
Ok, I see your point.

Well, a just got into the University of Chicago, so I have some decisions to make. I'm still the closest to Illinois, because it has engineering and from what I hear here it is a nice school (I'm Serb so drinking part is a big plus in my world), but you know Fermi Lab and 26 Nober Prize Winners are big things to consider when making a choice. However the problem is paying for college. Can you all give me some information on their financial aid (I'm in North Carolina so I got to pay like $33,000 a year). At Chicago they promise to meet 100% of demonstrated need. Does Illinois make sure financial aspect doesen't keep you out? Do I get instate status after first year?

The in-state status is a tricky thing.

I asked about it when I visited Purdue and they gave a list of requirements that you have to meet to be considered to be "in-state". If I remember correctly you couldn't live on campus and you had to work for x hours a week.

Obviously these criteria differ from state to state so I would contact the university directly or check to see if it's listed on their website.

You can't live on campus and have to work for x hours a week to be considered "in-state"? Are you sure they didn't mean independent?

0rthodontist said:
You can't live on campus and have to work for x hours a week to be considered "in-state"? Are you sure they didn't mean independent?

Nope.

Income earned as a result of University enrollment, such as educational loans, graduate assistantships, or student employment, is not considered evidence of intent to establish residency. To establish residency, a person must reside in Illinois for one calendar year primarily for other than educational purposes.

If you can find a loophole, please let me know. I'm very poor at the moment. :biggrin:

dav2008 said:
Well if you're not an independent then that means you still live with your parents, who are out of state.

Here are UIUC's requirements:

http://www.usp.uillinois.edu/residency/residentreg.html

Well, I guess I'll have to become independent and find myself a job quickly. Damn, I told my parents to move to Illinois, but for some reason they like NC. This sucks!

Purdue

If you really look forward to studying power engineering, check out http://power.ece.drexel.edu/index_files/Courses.htm .

For a superb overall program in electrical engineering, the university along the Ouabache (or Wabash), Purdue is awesome! :approve: Take a peek at the http://www.purdue.edu/fun/wallpaper/images/emall640.jpg . The adjoining communities (West Lafayette & Lafayette) have plenty of amenities and a great atmosphere! As a student, plan to take your studies seriously, but you'll also have ample time to kick back and relax.:cool: If you enjoy sports Boilermaker football and basketball is fantastic!

For stuff to do around state. There is some great canoing down Sugar Creek, and Turkey Run. You're in easy driving distance to The Dunes State park & Warren Dunes along Lake Michigan. Also some fantastic hiking down at Turkey Run Park. You're in easy driving distance to both Indy (Indianapolis) and Chicago. (Purdue is closer to Chicago than U of IL is). Come May, there is serious excitement at the Indy 500.

But if you want to study physics, U of Chicago is top notch!:bugeye:

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the admission requirements for the Electrical Engineering major at Purdue and Illinois?

Both Purdue and Illinois have similar admission requirements for their Electrical Engineering majors. These may include a strong background in math, physics, and chemistry, as well as a good GPA and standardized test scores. Additionally, both schools may also consider extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation as part of the application process.

What is the curriculum like for the Electrical Engineering major at Purdue and Illinois?

The curriculum for Electrical Engineering at both Purdue and Illinois is rigorous and includes courses in circuit analysis, electromagnetics, electronics, and digital systems. Students will also have the opportunity to specialize in areas such as power systems, communications, and computer engineering. Both schools also offer hands-on laboratory experiences and opportunities for research projects.

What kind of career opportunities are available for graduates of the Electrical Engineering major at Purdue and Illinois?

Graduates of the Electrical Engineering major at Purdue and Illinois have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. These may include roles in power systems, telecommunications, computer engineering, and renewable energy industries. Graduates may also find employment in research and development, consulting, and government agencies.

How do Purdue and Illinois rank in terms of their Electrical Engineering programs?

Both Purdue and Illinois have highly reputable Electrical Engineering programs and are ranked among the top universities in the country for this field. According to US News & World Report, Purdue is ranked #9 and Illinois is ranked #5 for undergraduate Electrical Engineering programs.

What is the difference between the Electrical Engineering programs at Purdue and Illinois?

While both programs offer a strong foundation in Electrical Engineering, there are some differences between the programs at Purdue and Illinois. Purdue has a larger focus on hands-on experiences and industry partnerships, while Illinois has a stronger emphasis on research and theoretical concepts. Additionally, the curriculum and course offerings may vary slightly between the two schools. Ultimately, it is important to research and compare both programs to determine which one aligns best with your career goals and interests.