1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Purdue vs UVa vs IU?

1. May 1, 2015 #1
    I need some insight! I will be transferring with the goal of an eventual graduate degree in physics. Which of these schools is the best for physics? Uva will provide the best aid for me... Ps it's iu Bloomington.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2015 #2
    What field are you interested in?

4. May 2, 2015 #3
    Particle physics, though I was under the impression the concentration didn't matter for undergrad. Mostly concerned with getting immersed in a good program and have a solid foundation.

5. May 2, 2015 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I'm pretty sure all three schools have particle physics research groups. As far as I know, all three have respectable undergraduate programs which can provide a solid foundation for grad school. Cost should definitely be a major consideration, especially if you'll need to take out loans. If you go on to grad school, you'll probably be supported as a TA or RA, but you won't be paying back your previous loans very fast (if at all!), and the interest will tend to accumulate.

6. May 2, 2015 #5
    Thanks for your replies. I just got a full ride to umass Amherst, which I wast really considering before but this offer sparked my interest. How does Umass compare to the previous three (I was invited to the honors college if that makes a difference)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook