Pure Bending: Understanding the Effects of Shear Force on Beam Behavior

In summary: Why do you persist in saying that a shear force is the cause of the stress concentration? It is not.
chetzread

Homework Statement

in the notes , i was told that when pure bending occur, there is no shear force acting...
w0hvPS5.jpg

BLYLmAk.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

refer to diagram 3.11 , does it mean the center of beam (between 2 forces P) will break? since there's no shear force acting

Physics news on Phys.org
Fig. 11 shows the portion of the beam experiencing pure bending. This is the portion of the beam where there is no (internal) shear force. The bending moment M throughout this section of the beam is constant. However, because there is a change in cross section in the middle, there will be a stress concentration in close proximity of the location where the cross section changes. Most of the section to the right of the change will have a stress distribution independent of distance along the beam, and most of the section to the left of the change will have a stress distribution independent of distance along the beam. Only in the region very close to the change will the stress distribution change as a result of the cross section change. The equation they give is supposed to approximate the tensile stress distribution over the cross section where the change has occurred. I assume this is the distribution over the smaller cross section.

Chestermiller said:
Fig. 11 shows the portion of the beam experiencing pure bending. This is the portion of the beam where there is no (internal) shear force. The bending moment M throughout this section of the beam is constant. However, because there is a change in cross section in the middle, there will be a stress concentration in close proximity of the location where the cross section changes. Most of the section to the right of the change will have a stress distribution independent of distance along the beam, and most of the section to the left of the change will have a stress distribution independent of distance along the beam. Only in the region very close to the change will the stress distribution change as a result of the cross section change. The equation they give is supposed to approximate the tensile stress distribution over the cross section where the change has occurred. I assume this is the distribution over the smaller cross section.
why there's a cross sectional area change in the middle ? i didnt see it . I just noticed that the cross sectional area is constant throughout the beam ...

and is it true that the center of beam (between 2 forces P) will break? since there's no shear force acting

chetzread said:
why there's a cross sectional area change in the middle ? i didnt see it . I just noticed that the cross sectional area is constant throughout the beam ...
You're saying you didn't notice a cross sectional area change in Fig. 3.11?
and is it true that the center of beam (between 2 forces P) will break? since there's no shear force acting
It has nothing to do with no shear force acting there. I has to do with the stress concentration at the change in cross sectional area.

Likes chetzread
Chestermiller said:
You're saying you didn't notice a cross sectional area change in Fig. 3.11?

It has nothing to do with no shear force acting there. I has to do with the stress concentration at the change in cross sectional area.
yes , is there any cross sectional area change ? it's a straight beam , am i right ?

chetzread said:
yes , is there any cross sectional area change ? it's a straight beam , am i right ?
Are we looking at the same figure? I'm looking at Fig. 3.11. Do you not see a cross section change in the figure?

Chestermiller said:
Are we looking at the same figure? I'm looking at Fig. 3.11. Do you not see a cross section change in the figure?
which is pure bending??.3.11 or 3.10 ?
the cross section area in 3.1 isn't change , while the 3.11 change...

chetzread said:
which is pure bending??.3.11 or 3.10 ?
Both.
the cross section area in 3.1 isn't change , while the 3.11 change...
Yes. So??

Chestermiller said:
Both.

Yes. So??
so , in 3.10,
there's no stress concentraion at the middle , thus no shearing force ?

chetzread said:

so , in 3.10,
there's no stress concentraion at the middle , thus no shearing force ?
Why do you persist in saying that a shear force is the cause of the stress concentration? It is not. In the center of the beam in both Fig. 3.10 and 3.11, there is no shearing force. In Fig. 3.11, there is no shearing force throughout the entire length of the beam. In Fig. 3.10, the shearing force is zero throughout the section that is inboard of the two loads P.

1. What is pure bending?

Pure bending is a type of load or force applied to a beam that causes it to bend without any accompanying twisting or shear force. This is often achieved by applying an equal and opposite force on either end of the beam, resulting in a uniform bending moment throughout the beam's length.

2. How does shear force affect beam behavior in pure bending?

Shear force can have a significant impact on the behavior of a beam under pure bending. As the beam bends, shear forces are generated along the cross-section which can result in shear stresses and cause the beam to deform or fail. It is important to understand the effects of shear force in order to design beams that can withstand the applied load.

3. What are the key factors that influence pure bending behavior?

The key factors that influence pure bending behavior include the magnitude and location of the applied load, the material properties of the beam, and the beam's cross-sectional shape and dimensions. These factors determine the bending moment and shear forces experienced by the beam and ultimately affect its behavior.

4. How is pure bending analyzed and calculated?

Pure bending can be analyzed and calculated using the principles of statics and mechanics of materials. The applied load and boundary conditions are used to determine the bending moment and shear forces, which are then used to calculate the stress and strain in the beam. These values can be compared to the beam's material properties to determine its behavior under pure bending.

5. What are some applications of pure bending in engineering and construction?

Pure bending is a common phenomenon in engineering and construction, particularly in the design of beams and other structural elements. It is used to analyze the behavior of bridges, buildings, and other structures under various loading conditions. Understanding pure bending is also important in the design of machine components such as shafts and axles.