1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Pure math symbols defined

1. May 15, 2016 #1
    looking at notes on functional analysis for self study. the authors I have stumbled across so far launch straight into the formal theory. I can't find any middle ground of intuitive motivations for the theory as yet. I am assuming the following is part of set theory? I can't follow the arguments because I don't know the terminology. are there lists defined for example the symbols in the following. I do not want these particular ones defined I want to know how to do it myself.

what branch of math do I need to read to get a foundation in this language.

any recommended readings.

thanks any leads.

upload_2016-5-16_14-38-22.png

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The \ symbol is "set difference" so A \ B = A ∩ BC (the elements of A intersected with the complement of B)

α Fα means ##F_{\alpha_1} \cap F_{\alpha_2} \cap \dots F_{\alpha_n} \cap \dots##, where the ##\alpha_i##s are some indexing set.
    α Fα is similar, but is the union over some indexing set.

Books on analysis usually define these symbols in an appendix.

4. May 17, 2016 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Correct, but this gives the impression that the number of ##F_\alpha## is countable, while it can be much more general. In any case, it seems the OP will need to look at some basic set theory before he can handle analysis.

5. May 17, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, I realize that the ##\alpha##'s are some indexing set, not necessarily a countable set. My intent was to expand the notation somewhat.

6. May 17, 2016 #5
    Does analysis solve problems or just prove theorems and provide tools for solving problems?

ETA, I am going to do classical analysis on real numbers first re calculus. Seems like the logical thing and apparently I am already familiar with many of the content eg limits, series, real numbers etc.

Then set theory/logic then analysis.

Sound sound?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted