Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pure maths vs. applied maths

1. Pure Mathematics

27 vote(s)
  2. Applied Mathematics

16 vote(s)
  3. Both of the above

8 vote(s)
  4. None of the above

1 vote(s)
  1. Sep 30, 2006 #1
    hi, a poll has been going on about our favourite fields in mathematics. i decided to run a poll on broader topics, namely, pure mathematics and applied mathematics. which one do you guys prefer?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2006 #2
    Which one do you prefer and why ?
  4. Oct 8, 2006 #3
    i prefer pure mathematics. i think its much more elegant and beautiful than applied mathematics. my feelings towards mathematics is a bit like that of Hardy's. :smile:
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  5. Oct 8, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I prefer math to physics personally
  6. Oct 8, 2006 #5
    I voted Applied Mathematics because the solutions are useful to me as a Physicist...
  7. Jan 27, 2011 #6
    physics is logic and real while math is just abstractits ture that physics needs math to solve a problem but life is physics
  8. Jan 27, 2011 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Although I am a pure mathematician, I have voted "both of them". I think both pure and applied mathematics have their inherent beauty. Pure mathematics is like a form of art, it's existence is justified by itself. While the beauty of applied mathematics lies in it's power to solve real problems.
  9. Jan 27, 2011 #8
    ^nice analysis. But things like the prime number spiral are the domain of pure math, so that is where my vote went.
  10. Jan 28, 2011 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pure math is boring.

Applied math is the world we live in, now that is interesting.
  11. Jan 28, 2011 #10

Science Advisor

I like pure math to some degree, but I really like to see math applied in some sense. Pure math by itself is too much for me to bear.
  12. Jan 28, 2011 #11
    As was mentioned earlier by desA, I voted applied maths as I'm a physicist. Speculative maths has too much rigor and abstraction!
  13. Jan 29, 2011 #12
    That is why I like pure math. As far from life and all its messiness as possible.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?