1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pure/Physical Dipole?

1. Mar 17, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Pure/Physical Dipole?

In the Griffith's book page 154 is two pictures showing pure and physical dipoles. It also writes about these in previous pages but i do not get the point! i mean what is the big deal in the difference between them? Why should Griffith's pay this much attention on it? is there a physical difference between them? actually i see no difference at all! pure is a kind of physical dipole! i do not why even Griffith's names them differently? why does Griffith's keep mentioning this and makes a big deal out of it?

Ok, let's say there is Pure dipole in some where and we are going to calculate the force exerting to a charge q in some where else, so what would have make the difference if it was a physical dipole instead of the pure dipole?

I am sure i am not getting some thing in it somewhere......

please release me.!!!!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2008 #2
  4. Mar 18, 2008 #3
    OK.cooooooooool, i found it myself!!!

In page 60 Nayfeh it option 2 it says the Dipole potential from multiple expansions is only correct when we have [tex]\delta[/tex]/r [tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0 and it is not correct when we have [tex]\delta[/tex]/r ~1

cooooool, so actually the pure dipole works for good estimation of the multiple expansions method and we have to be careful for the physical dipoles.... i can see we have to treat the physical dipoles as two monopole when we are enough close to them..

any commands?
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  5. Mar 18, 2008 #4
    i guess this is a solved one! yes?
  6. Mar 18, 2008 #5

D H

Staff: Mentor

Yes. The only terms in the spherical harmonic expansion (aka multipole expansion) of the electrical potential for a pure dipole are the [itex]C_1^m[/itex] terms - the dipole terms. A pure dipole is called "pure" is because it only has a dipole moment. A physical dipole will have quadrupole moments, etc. The spherical harmonic expansion of the potential has an infinite number of non-zero terms.
  7. Mar 19, 2008 #6
    oh, i see. thank you...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?