1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pure Substances and Van der Waals

1. Apr 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For any Pure Substance, use the relation (1) to show that for a Van der Waals gas, over a range of conditions where c[tex]_{v}[/tex] is effectively constant, that equation (2) gives equations (3) and (4)

2. Relevant equations

(1) ~ Tds = du + pdv

(2) ~ c[tex]_{v}[/tex]dT + T [tex]\frac{\partial p}{\partial t}[/tex][tex]_{v}[/tex]dv = 0

(3) ~ T(v-b)[tex]^{\alpha}[/tex] = constant

(4) ~ p + [tex]\frac{a}{v^{2}}[/tex][tex]\approx[/tex]T[tex]^{\frac{1+\alpha}{\alpha}}[/tex]

(5) ~ [tex]\alpha[/tex]=[tex]\frac{R}{c_{v}}[/tex]

(6) ~ (p + [tex]\frac{a}{v^{2}}[/tex])(v-b)=RT

3. The attempt at a solution

I really havent got a clue where to go with this one, this question obviously has something to do with c[tex]_{v}[/tex].

I was thinking for the first part since its equal to a constant then maybe integration or diferrentiation will come into this at some point. As for the second part i haven't got the slightest clue where to go so any tips would be nice.

I've written down all the equation i think could possibly come into play here, and have tried rearranging them but have not got anywhere with this yet. I can derive equation (2) from equation (1) but i can't see that being much use

I'm new round here and would like to apologise for any thing that i've done wrong

Thanks alot

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2008 #2
    i have managed to show that

p+[tex]\frac{a}{v^{2}}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{RT}{v-b}[/tex]=T([tex]\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}[/tex])[tex]_{v}[/tex]

and that

[tex]\frac{a}{v^{2}}[/tex] = ([tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial v}[/tex])[tex]_{T}[/tex]

but am now unsure where to go or if this is even the right path to take

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?