Pure Substances and Van der Waals

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equation (1) to show that for a Van der Waals gas, equation (2) gives equations (3) and (4) when c_{v} is effectively constant. The equations (5) and (6) are also mentioned. The attempt at a solution involves integrating and differentiating the equations, but the person is unsure of the correct path to take.
nzyme

Homework Statement

For any Pure Substance, use the relation (1) to show that for a Van der Waals gas, over a range of conditions where c[tex]_{v}[/tex] is effectively constant, that equation (2) gives equations (3) and (4)

Homework Equations

(1) ~ Tds = du + pdv

(2) ~ c[tex]_{v}[/tex]dT + T [tex]\frac{\partial p}{\partial t}[/tex][tex]_{v}[/tex]dv = 0

(3) ~ T(v-b)[tex]^{\alpha}[/tex] = constant

(4) ~ p + [tex]\frac{a}{v^{2}}[/tex][tex]\approx[/tex]T[tex]^{\frac{1+\alpha}{\alpha}}[/tex]

(5) ~ [tex]\alpha[/tex]=[tex]\frac{R}{c_{v}}[/tex]

(6) ~ (p + [tex]\frac{a}{v^{2}}[/tex])(v-b)=RT

The Attempt at a Solution

I really haven't got a clue where to go with this one, this question obviously has something to do with c[tex]_{v}[/tex].

I was thinking for the first part since its equal to a constant then maybe integration or diferrentiation will come into this at some point. As for the second part i haven't got the slightest clue where to go so any tips would be nice.

I've written down all the equation i think could possibly come into play here, and have tried rearranging them but have not got anywhere with this yet. I can derive equation (2) from equation (1) but i can't see that being much use

I'm new round here and would like to apologise for any thing that I've done wrong

Thanks alot

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i have managed to show that

p+[tex]\frac{a}{v^{2}}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{RT}{v-b}[/tex]=T([tex]\frac{\partial p}{\partial T}[/tex])[tex]_{v}[/tex]

and that

[tex]\frac{a}{v^{2}}[/tex] = ([tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial v}[/tex])[tex]_{T}[/tex]

but am now unsure where to go or if this is even the right path to take

1. What is a pure substance?

A pure substance is a material that is made up of only one type of particle, either atoms or molecules. It has a fixed composition and distinct physical and chemical properties.

2. What is the difference between a pure substance and a mixture?

A mixture is a combination of two or more pure substances whereas a pure substance is made up of only one type of particle. Mixtures can be separated by physical means, while pure substances cannot be separated without breaking chemical bonds.

3. What is the significance of Van der Waals forces?

Van der Waals forces are weak attractive forces that exist between molecules, particularly in gases and liquids. They play a crucial role in determining the physical properties of substances, such as boiling and melting points, and can also affect chemical reactions.

4. How do Van der Waals forces differ from chemical bonds?

Chemical bonds involve the sharing or transfer of electrons between atoms, resulting in a strong attraction between the atoms. Van der Waals forces, on the other hand, are temporary and weaker interactions between molecules due to random fluctuations in electron distribution.

5. Can Van der Waals forces be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, Van der Waals forces can be manipulated through changes in temperature, pressure, and the size and shape of molecules. This is why substances can exist in different phases (solid, liquid, gas) depending on these factors.