Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pure twin paradox

1. May 9, 2008 #1
    We know what is twin paradox is, and also why it is not a paradox, but my question is, "if we can not define absolute motion, how can we decide that the twin which went to space will age less, and not the home one?"

That is to say that, when peter at home sees paul's clock moving slow (in space ship), similarly, paul should see peter's clock to be slowed down. So for paul, peter should be the younger! How is it that when paul comes, he is the one who is younger?

for example, let's say (arbitrarily) that, the absolute speed of earth (which is of course not measurable) is 70,000 km/s. the speed of paul's spaceship is 30,000 km/s. and they are moving in opposite direction. So, if we talk about the absolute speed, peter should be younger, and if we talk about relative speed, both should be younger for each other. What is it that lets us decide, that each time, paul will be the one who aged less?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

One twin accelerates, the other doesn't; that breaks the symmetry. The accelerating twin experiences less proper time.
  4. May 9, 2008 #3
    Oh yes, but if the accelerating twin looks back, he will think, the earth is accelerating with respect to him. Or acceleration is not relative, while velocity is?
  5. May 9, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Acceleration is not relative.
  6. May 9, 2008 #5
    How come acceleration is not relative?
    Does that mean that when paul will look back, he will find that earth is in uniform relative motion with some velocity v with respect to him (and not accelerated with respect to him)? This is highly improbable.
  7. May 9, 2008 #6
    The twin on the spaceship is the one who is accelerating away from the inertial frame of reference (Earth) and will undergo such effects associated with the act of acceleration. Barring the effects of gravity and the motion of Earth around the Sun, the twin on Earth maintains the original inertial frame of reference. That's how I understood it.
  8. May 9, 2008 #7
    I understood more or less the same way.
    But my question is, removing everything else, other than the earth and paul's spaceship (i.e. keeping only two frames of reference, earth and the spaceship), If paul is accelerated, will not he believe that the earth is accelerated as well with respect to him. accepted that he can measure his own acceleration without the reference to the earth (with an accelerometer), yet when he would look-back, he would notice the earth to be accelerating at the same rate, and hence, the time dilation for paul due to his own acceleration as observed by peter, will be applicable to peter as well when paul observes him.
  9. May 9, 2008 #8

Since he knows he is accelerating (after all, he's firing his engines), he will consider the earth stationary wrt him.
  10. May 10, 2008 #9

And the twin on the earth doesn't "feel" anything happening to himself when his twin fires the spaceship's engines.
  11. May 10, 2008 #10
    "He's firing his engines" is not an answer! In such a case, If two space ships are going in the same direction (no relative velocity), and if they don't consider any reference to the other spaceship, or the earth, because they know that their engines are working, they will believe their clocks are slower? But I think that was just a friendly comment and not explanation.

In relativity, we are concerned about what one observer feels (or observes) about other, and not what one feels about himself! The time for paul in his frame is going at a uniform speed for him. It's what peter's observation that paul's clock is slow. And thus, if it is the acceleration of paul, which let's him slow down his time, absolutely irrespective of peter, then that doesn't seem relativity to me.

Consider paul is in the ship, but he doesn't drive the ship, and just observes the relative motion, not visually, but by some radio signal strength or sort of thing. Now, before the engine is fired, some heavenly body strikes earth and accelerates to same amount, as would have been case if the engine would have been fired. Will he not feel that the engine has been fired? Now in such a situation, whose time will be slow? Paul's or Peter's?
    Last edited: May 10, 2008
  12. May 10, 2008 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Force equals mass times acceleration. The twin who is accelerating will fill a force during acceleration. If it were the earth that were accelerating, the twin on earth would feel an additional force.

This is all in "special relativity". In "general relativity", an "external" force can be interpreted as additonal gravity rather than acceleration. However, since a higher gravitational force results in slowing clocks, the result is the same.
  13. May 10, 2008 #12

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

(This comment accentuates those of russ_watters and jtbell.)

Consider a block (an ice cube) on a frictionless (icy) surface.
    This setup is in the ship of each observer.

For the inertial observer, that block remains in the same position on the table throughout the experiment.

For the observer that accelerates (or is accelerated by the "driver"), that block is not in the same position.
  14. May 10, 2008 #13
    You are not listening AntigenX, people here are trying to help you with your problems in understanding relativity, but with comments like the ones above I fear not for long.
  15. May 10, 2008 #14
    You are right, pardon me for being so arrogant and what not...

I have read comments of everybody, but I think we are missing the point here.

Simply put, If acceleration, which is absolute, and doesn't require any external frame of reference for its measurement (i.e. is self evident in the observer's own frame), then how come paul's time slow for peter, when it isn't relative to peter at all? I consider the gravity point of view, but how would we give explanation of this so called paradox in SR?
  16. May 10, 2008 #15

Gold Member

you appear to mixing two different things here. The twin case applies to a situation where the the twins are together in one place, then one goes off on a round trip, and they compare clocks when the traveller returns. In this case the twin who did the most accelerating will have fewer ticks on his clock.

The other situation is what they will get if they measure each others clock rates while the travelling twin is in progress. In this case, each one will measure the others clock as being slower.

This contrasts with what they will see if they observe one another with telescopes, which is another case.
  17. May 10, 2008 #16
    May be I'm not putting the situation correctly. I am not mixing two situations though. As referred in my last post, If acceleration, which is absolute (and not relative) dilates paul's time, without any reference to peter, how should it matter to peter at all. As is our argument formulated, during the whole journey, paul is bound to accelerate at least 4 times, during which, his clock runs slower. My point is, slower with respect to which clock? Because, as noted above, acceleration is self evident in paul's frame for paul, and is not relative to peter.
    If we say, with respect to peter's clock, then the time dilation in a situation of paul's acceleration is relative to peter (i.e. is not absolute), and hence, the same time dilation should be evident for peter as well, as observed from paul's point of view.
  18. May 10, 2008 #17

My recommendation is to forget the acceleration. It only serves to break the symmetry and does not cause time dilation by itself. Instead, use the spacetime interval which allows you to extend the analysis to arbitrarily accelerating twins.

Your scenario here is fine, but you didn't actually do the math, so your conclusion is wrong.

In frame A (for "absolute") ve is .00023 c and vp is initially -.00010 c. The two start together at spacetime coordinates (0,0). If the outbound portion of the trip takes 1 year in frame A then at the end of the year the earth will be at spacetime coordinates (1,.00023) and paul will be at spacetime coordinates (1,-.00010) where both are measured in lightyears. At this point paul turns around and heads back to the earth where they re-unite at spacetime coordinates (2,.00046).

The spacetime interval for the earth's clock is
    |(1,.00023)-(0,0)| + |(2,.00046)-(1,.00023)| = 1.9999999471 years.

The spacetime interval for paul's clock is
    |(1,-.0001)-(0,0)| + |(2,.00046)-(1,-.0001)| = 1.9999998382 years.

So paul's clock reads less than the earth's clock by 3.4 seconds.

The point is that you can pick any arbitrary frame and reach the same conclusion that paul aged less. We don't have to "decide", we just have to follow the same rules in any inertial frame.
  19. May 10, 2008 #18

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Paul's acceleration does not cause his time dilation, rather it effects what he measures is happening to Peter's clock. You have to use different rules when dealing with the measurements of an accelerating observer. What Paul determines is happening to Peter's while he (Paul) is accelerating is determined by three things: The magnitude of the acceleration, The direction of the acceleration, and the distance between Peter and Paul as measured by Paul along a line parallel to the direction of the acceleration.

When Paul is accelerating away from Peter he measures Peter's clock as running slow, The greater the distance between the two, the more pronounced the slowing of Peter's clock. This is in addition to any slowing due to the relative velocity between them.

When Paul is accelerating towards Peter, he measures Peter's clock as running fast, minus any slowing due to relative velocity.Again, this becomes more pronounced as the distance between them is increased. Note that accelerating "towards" doesn't always means "moving towards". Braking to a stop while moving away counts as acceleration towards.

Thus Paul measures the following as happening to Peter and his clock.

As Paul accelerates away from Peter he sees Peter's clock run slow both due to the increasing velocity difference and his acceleration away. Since at this time the distance between the two is not large, the acceleration does not add much.

Once Paul reaches the desired cruising speed, he quits accelerating and coasts. During this time Peter's clock will run slow at a fixed rate.

Paul reaches the turn around point and begins to brake and then accelerate back towards Peter. During this period, he determines that Peter's clock speeds up due to his acceleration towards Peter. Since at this point, the distance between the two is its greatest, this speeding up of Peter's clock is enough to not only overcome any slowing due to relative velocity but actually causes Peter's clock to jump ahead of Paul's clock.

Paul begins the coasting leg of the return trip. He again sees Peter's clock as running slow. However Peter's clock starts out as ahead.

Peter and Paul reunite. The slowing of Peter's clock during the return trip is not enough to completely offset the time it gained during the turn around phase, and Paul finds that he and his clock has accumulated less time than Peter's.
  20. May 10, 2008 #19
    For anyone having trouble understanding why the acceleration is crucial, take a look at this link. If you don't understand it (I didn't the first time through), then slow down and read it very carefully. I've found skimming through these sorts of things is just a waste of time.

21. May 10, 2008 #20

Gold Member

Drawing a space-time diagram makes it very clear. Curvy world-lines represent accelerated frames, and they are longer than straight lines ( inertial frames ) joining any two points. The relative clock speeds are related to the lengths of the worldlines between the points of coincidence. It is immediately obvious why (how?) accelerations slow clocks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?