Which will reach the bottom faster: solid or hollow sphere?

In summary: Yes, i thought i said that only. The linear downslope acceleration comes from the component of gravitational force in that direction... but so does the tangential acceleration.
Milo Martian
1. The problem statement:
Consider a solid sphere and a hollow sphere, of equal mass M and equal radius R ,at rest on top of an incline . If there is no slipping which will reach the bottom faster.

2. Homework Equations :
acm = Fext/M (cm= centre of mass)
angular acceleration= torqueext/ I ( I = moment of inertia)
Ihollow sphere= 2MR2/3
Isolid sphere=2MR2/5

3. The Attempt at a Solution :
acm should be same for both of them as Fext and M are same, so they should reach at same time. But angular acceleration of solid sphere will be more since Isolid sphere< Ihollow sphereand torque is same for both, so by this info the solid sphere should reach faster. Thus, the confusion.Also, how can acm remain same for both when angular acceleration of solid sphere is higher , the acm of the solid cylinder should be higher since the radius is same for both. But according to the first equation, acm should be same.

Physics news on Phys.org
Milo Martian said:
acm should be same for both of them as Fext and M are same, so they should reach at same time. But angular acceleration of solid sphere will be more since Isolid sphere< Ihollow sphereand torque is same for both, so by this info the solid sphere should reach faster.

how the angular acceleration is related with the acceleration of the center of mass of the two spheres ?
i doubt that a(c.m.) is same for both as the rotation and translational motion seems to be related(a case of pure rolling).

drvrm said:
how the angular acceleration is related with the acceleration of the center of mass of the two spheres ?
i doubt that a(c.m.) is same for both as the rotation and translational motion seems to be related(a case of pure rolling).
well , if there is no slipping the distance covered in one rotation is 2piR for both the spheres. So, with higher angular acceleration, the number of rotations per second increases at higher rate, leading to higher increase in rate of ground coverage, so shouldn't the acm be higher as well? But, is the first equation not applicable for pure rolling?

Milo Martian said:
acm should be same for both of them as Fext and M are same, so they should reach at same time.
No . The net force is not same . Please write equation of motion for both translation and rotational motion .Find expression for acm in terms of given variables .

Vibhor said:
No . The net force is not same . Please write equation of motion for both translation and rotational motion .Find expression for acm in terms of given variables .
aren't the equations given the right one's for translation and rotation? isn't the equation , acm = Net external force/ Mass ,correct for translation + rotation?

Milo Martian said:
sn't the equation , acm = Net external force/ Mass ,correct for translation + rotation?
Yes, but as Vibhor wrote the net force is not the same. What forces act on the spheres?

haruspex said:
Yes, but as Vibhor wrote the net force is not the same. What forces act on the spheres?
Well... there's a force mgsin(theta) acting parallel to the incline along the centre of mass and friction acting at the bottom of the sphere in the opposite direction. Since there's no slipping, the forces should be equal.So, the net external force for both is 0? so, acm is 0? that can't be right. I'm confused.

Milo Martian said:
mgsin(theta) acting parallel to the incline along the centre of mass
Well, that's the component of the gravitational force in that direction, yes.
Milo Martian said:
Since there's no slipping, the forces should be equal.
No such rule.

haruspex said:
Well, that's the component of the gravitational force in that direction, yes.

No such rule.
But as the body does not slip , shouldn't the magnitude of static friction be equal to the magnitude of the external force trying to make it move?

Milo Martian said:
But as the body does not slip , shouldn't the magnitude of static friction be equal to the magnitude of the external force trying to make it move?
The fact of non-slipping only tells you that the point of the wheel in contact with the plane has no acceleration or velocity parallel to the plane. The net zero acceleration will be achieved by the linear downslope acceleration of the wheel as a whole being equal and opposite to the tangential acceleration resulting from the wheel's rotational acceleration.

haruspex said:
The fact of non-slipping only tells you that the point of the wheel in contact with the plane has no acceleration or velocity parallel to the plane. The net zero acceleration will be achieved by the linear downslope acceleration of the wheel as a whole being equal and opposite to the tangential acceleration resulting from the wheel's rotational acceleration.
Yes, i thought i said that only. The linear downslope acceleration comes from the component of gravitational force in that direction ( doesn't it) and the tangential acceleration comes from friction (doesn't it?) Since force= mass X acceleration and the mass and acceleration being equal , the forces will also be equal ( isn't it?).
I am getting really confused, the answer to my doubts seems miles away. please help

Milo Martian said:
Yes, i thought i said that only. The linear downslope acceleration comes from the component of gravitational force in that direction ( doesn't it) and the tangential acceleration comes from friction (doesn't it?) Since force= mass X acceleration and the mass and acceleration being equal , the forces will also be equal ( isn't it?).
I am getting really confused, the answer to my doubts seems miles away. please help
The wheel is a rigid body. You cannot figure out the motion of one small piece of it just from looking at external forces applied to the wheel as a whole. There are also forces between the parts of the wheel.
The two accelerations only cancel out at the point of contact.

The normal force and the component of the gravitational force perpendicular to the plane exactly cancel and are in the same line of action, so they produce no net force nor torque. So we can ignore these.

There is the downslope component of gravity, call this force Fgd, and the upslope force of friction, Ff. The difference between them gives the net force which provides the linear downslope acceleration of the wheel.

At the same time, these two forces produce a net torque. That produces the rotational acceleration.
The value of the torque depends where you put your reference axis. If we put it at the centre of the wheel then it will be R.Ff. If we put it at the point of contact it will be R.Fgd. The corresponding moments of inertia for those two axes are also different, and it turns out that the resulting angular acceleration is the same either way.

haruspex said:
The wheel is a rigid body. You cannot figure out the motion of one small piece of it just from looking at external forces applied to the wheel as a whole. There are also forces between the parts of the wheel.
The two accelerations only cancel out at the point of contact.

The normal force and the component of the gravitational force perpendicular to the plane exactly cancel and are in the same line of action, so they produce no net force nor torque. So we can ignore these.

There is the downslope component of gravity, call this force Fgd, and the upslope force of friction, Ff. The difference between them gives the net force which provides the linear downslope acceleration of the wheel.

At the same time, these two forces produce a net torque. That produces the rotational acceleration.
The value of the torque depends where you put your reference axis. If we put it at the centre of the wheel then it will be R.Ff. If we put it at the point of contact it will be R.Fgd. The corresponding moments of inertia for those two axes are also different, and it turns out that the resulting angular acceleration is the same either way.
Ok.. so to find out acm , need to find out angular acceleration and multiply it by R?
and regarding the equation acm= Fext/M , can't we predict the motion of centre of mass from the knowledge of external forces and the mass? but the forces due to different parts of the sphere are internal forces and are not part of the above equation. Sorry, if my questions are getting repetitive .

sphere on ramp.jpg

It is always easier to understand these problems using a diagram . Take a copy of the diagram above and mark in whatever forces that you think are acting

Nidum said:
View attachment 104317
It is always easier to understand these problems using a diagram . Take a copy of the diagram above and mark in whatever forces that you think are acting
OK so,m being mass of the body, here normal force, N = mgcosA and since there is no slipping ( so there is only static friction) the static friction, f should be equal to mgsinA i think. There will be a torque due to the combination of friction, f and component of gravitational force mgsinA. Am i wrong so far? If yes, can you tell me where and why?
If i am not wrong then are the equations i gave in the question applicable here? if yes, then since friction, f and mgsinA are equal and opposite so the net force on the body is 0 right? So, acm= 0 ( since Fext=0) which must not be right. Or is Fext= mgsinA as friction is internal force to the system and, thus, the acm= gsinA? Here is my confusion. Can you tell me how to get the right acm? and what's wrong with my method?

Attachments

• sphere on ramp.jpg
    sphere on ramp.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 381
Milo Martian said:
since there is no slipping ( so there is only static friction) the static friction, f should be equal to mgsinA
You keep repeating that, but it is not true. Your intuition is blocking you. Just work with the free body diagram and the standard laws, Fnet=ma, τnet=Iα, and the rolling condition a=rα.
Fot the torque equation, make sure to use the same axis for both torque and moment of inertia.
When you have worked that through, you can see for yourself how the static frictional force differs from mg sin θ.

haruspex said:
You keep repeating that, but it is not true. Your intuition is blocking you. Just work with the free body diagram and the standard laws, Fnet=ma, τnet=Iα, and the rolling condition a=rα.
Fot the torque equation, make sure to use the same axis for both torque and moment of inertia.
When you have worked that through, you can see for yourself how the static frictional force differs from mg sin θ.
Ok so f not equal to mgsinA. But Fext= mgsinA, right? so acm = gsinA for both the spheres?

Milo Martian said:
But Fext= mgsinA, right?
What is Fext? If you mean Fnet, no.
Milo Martian said:
acm= gsinA for both the spheres?
No.

Quit guessing and follow proper procedure:
  • There are two forces parallel to the plane, mg sin A and Ffriction
  • What is the net force?
  • Write the equation for linear acceleration
  • What is the torque about the mass centre?
  • Write the equation for angular acceleration
  • Because it is rolling contact, the angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related. Write the equation for that.

Likes Milo Martian
haruspex said:

No.

• What is the net force?
  • Because it is rolling contact, the angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related. Write the equation for that.
Fext= net force external to the system of incline+ sphere. isn't friction internal to the system?if yes then the only external force is mgsinA, isn't it?

haruspex said:

No.

• What is the net force?
haruspex said:

Oh i got my mistake. Fext= force external to the sphere = mgsinA-f. right?

haruspex said:

No.

• What is the net force?
ok, so Fext= mgsinA - f = macm
=> acm= (mgsinA-f)/m ...(1)

Torque= fXR ( taken about cm)= I X angular acceleration
angular acc. for solid sphere= fXR/ Isolid sphere = 5fXR/ 2mR2=5f/2mR
linear acc. of cm for solid sphere= (5f/2mR) X R= 5f/2m ...(2)
angular acc. for hollow sphere= fXR/ Ihollow sphere= 3f/2mR
linear acc. of cm for hollow sphere= 3f/2m ...(3)
From equation (1) i am getting same acm for both.
From equation (2) and (3) i am getting diff acm for solid and hollow sphere.
where am i going wrong? the only assumption i made is that f is same for both the spheres. is that assumption wrong?

Milo Martian said:
the only assumption i made is that f is same for both the spheres. is that assumption wrong?
Yes, it is wrong. You do not need to make any assumptions.

haruspex said:
Yes, it is wrong. You do not need to make any assumptions.
ok, so rest of my calculation is right?
let the two fs be f1 and f2.
acm for solid sphere=5f1/2m
acm for hollow sphere= 3f2/2m
so how do i figure out which acm is more , since i don't know which among f1 and f2 is greater, and thus solve the initial question of which sphere reaches the bottom first?

For the same mass, the hollow sphere has a greater "moment of inertia", so will opose more resistance to rotational angular acceleration... seems to me that hollow sphere will be slower

llober said:
For the same mass, the hollow sphere has a greater "moment of inertia", so will opose more resistance to rotational angular acceleration... seems to me that hollow sphere will be slower
can u look at my calculations and tell me where i am going wrong?

Milo Martian said:
et the two fs be f1 and f2.
acm for solid sphere=5f1/2m
It depends what you mean by the "f"s. You were earlier using f for the frictional force. For that equation you need the net force.
Milo Martian said:
so how do i figure out which acm is more , since i don't know which among f1 and f2 is greater, and thus solve the initial question of which sphere reaches the bottom first?
You need to do the other steps in post #20.

Milo Martian said:
can u look at my calculations and tell me where i am going wrong?
I think is better to do an Energy balance...
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/104346

Likes Milo Martian
llober said:
Please delete ths post. Violates protocol. we are not supposed to lay out complete solutions, just provide hints and corrections. please read the forum guidelines.
Anyway, it is erroneous.

Likes llober
haruspex said:
It depends what you mean by the "f"s. You were earlier using f for the frictional force. For that equation you need the net force.

You need to do the other steps in post #20.
Okay, i got it .
Fext= mgsinA - f= macm ...(1)
fXR= torque = I X angular acc. = I X acm/R
=> f= Iacm/R2 ...(2)
From (1) and (2) :
macm = mgsinA - Iacm/R2
=> acm= mgsinA/(m + I/R2)
So, since Isolid sphere< Ihollow sphere
Therefore, acm for solid sphere> acm for hollow sphere.
i hope i am right. phew

llober said:
yes, that can also work for solving the question. But my main confusion was regarding finding the acm. But thanks for your help.

llober said:
But won't mechanical energy change due to friction? just curious

Milo Martian said:
But won't mechanical energy change due to friction? just curious
If there's no sliding, there's no loss by friction, because the no sliding translates into speed zero at the contact point, so the "friction force" does not move.

llober said:
If there's no sliding, there's no loss by friction, because the no sliding translates into speed zero at the contact point, so the "friction force" does not move.
OK

Milo Martian said:
Okay, i got it .
Fext= mgsinA - f= macm ...(1)
fXR= torque = I X angular acc. = I X acm/R
=> f= Iacm/R2 ...(2)
From (1) and (2) :
macm = mgsinA - Iacm/R2
=> acm= mgsinA/(m + I/R2)
So, since Isolid sphere< Ihollow sphere
Therefore, acm for solid sphere> acm for hollow sphere.
i hope i am right. phew
You got it.

1. What is the difference between a solid and hollow sphere?

A solid sphere is completely filled with material, while a hollow sphere has an empty space or cavity in the center.

2. Which sphere will reach the bottom faster in a vacuum?

Both spheres will reach the bottom at the same time in a vacuum, as they are not affected by air resistance. This is due to the principle of conservation of energy, where the potential energy of the spheres at the top is converted into kinetic energy as they fall, regardless of their shape or mass.

3. What about in a medium with air resistance?

In a medium with air resistance, the solid sphere will reach the bottom faster. This is because the hollow sphere has a larger surface area and therefore experiences more air resistance, slowing it down.

4. How does the mass of the spheres affect their falling speed?

The mass of the spheres does not affect their falling speed in a vacuum, as stated by the principle of conservation of energy. However, in a medium with air resistance, the heavier solid sphere will fall faster than the lighter hollow sphere due to its greater gravitational force.

5. Are there any other factors that could affect the falling speed of the spheres?

Yes, there are other factors that could affect the falling speed of the spheres, such as the shape and density of the material they are made of, as well as the density and viscosity of the medium they are falling through. These factors can impact the amount of air resistance experienced by the spheres and ultimately affect their falling speed.