Purification of sodium chloride

• Thread starter Faizan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sodium
In summary, the conversation discusses how to separate sodium from a mixture of sodium chloride and water soluble impurities. The suggestion is to use an ion exchange resin, but the goal of the separation (getting rid of the Na+ or isolating it) needs to be clarified for a more efficient solution.
Faizan
How do we separate Sodium from a mixture of sodium chloride and water soluble impurities?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sodium? As in Na? In water? HA!

2Na + 2H2O --> 2NaOH + H2

ie. Sodium doesn't exist in water because it will react with it.

No, he mentioned from NaCl, which is a salt and not from the metal Na :)

ha

What other water impurities? You must specify otherwise we will not stroke your rod with much efficiency.

Use an ion exchange resin.

Thanks Monique

Thanks Monique, you clarified my question but still i can't find any answer to my question.

I think you need to clarify your goal a little bit, you want to get rid of the Na+ or you want to isolate Na+.. there is a difference :)

1. What is the process of purifying sodium chloride?

The process of purifying sodium chloride involves separating the compound from impurities and other substances through various methods, such as filtration, evaporation, and crystallization.

2. Why is it important to purify sodium chloride?

Purifying sodium chloride is important because it removes any impurities or contaminants that may affect its chemical properties and make it less suitable for certain applications, such as in food or pharmaceutical industries.

3. What are the potential impurities in sodium chloride?

The potential impurities in sodium chloride can include other salts, minerals, and organic compounds that may be present in the source of the compound, such as sea water or rock salt.

4. What methods are used to purify sodium chloride?

The most common methods used to purify sodium chloride include filtration, where the compound is separated from larger particles, and crystallization, where it is separated from other dissolved substances through controlled evaporation and cooling.

5. What are the uses of purified sodium chloride?

Purified sodium chloride has various uses, including as a seasoning in food, a preservative in canned goods, a de-icing agent for roads, and a component in various industrial processes, such as the production of paper and glass.