How much work is required to drink through a straw placed in a glass of water?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the amount of work required to drink water through a straw placed in a glass filled with water. The participants discuss the equations and variables needed for the calculation and eventually reach a consensus on the correct answer of approximately 0.476J.
Alem2000
Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? "A glass is a cylinder, 15cm tall and with a radius of 3cm. It is filled 12.5cm high with water d=1000kg/m^3.
A straw is placed in the glass, with the top of the straw 5cm above the top of the glass. How much work does it take to drink through the straw? Note..for the purpose of computing work, it is safe to assume that you are always drinking from the top most "layer" of water, no matter where the straw is placed."

I started using a system that the bottom of the cup is 0 height..and the top of the cup 15...I think some people do it the other way around :confused:
By the way I converted from cm to m randomly in the problem whenever the units came up in the problem.
This is my work...
[tex]\vec{W}=\vec{F}d[/tex]

[tex]\vec{F}=m\vec{a}[/tex]

[tex]d=m/V[/tex]

[tex]d=1,000kg/m^3[/tex]
[tex]V=9\pi,cm^2[/tex]

using the equations form above [tex]m=.9\pi,kg/m[/tex]

[tex]\vec{F}=\vec{w}=8.82N\pi[/tex]...weight

[tex]\vec{W}=(8.82)(h+.05)J\pi[/tex]..work

[tex]\vec{W}=8.82h=.441)J\pi[/tex]

[tex]\pi\int_{0}^{.125}8.82h+.441dh[/tex]

so far so good?

after integrating...i said that it takes [tex]2182.1J [/tex] to do the work I am assuming that's wrong...thats a lot of Joules just to drink some water ay?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine a thin (thickness dx) "layer" of water a height x (meters) above the base. That layer is a disk of radius 0.03 m in radius so its volume is 0.0009πdx cubic meters and so its mass is .9 πdx kg and its weight is 8.829 π dx Newtons.
That appears to be what you have but then you say
[tex]\vec{W}=(8.82)(h+.05)J\pi[/tex]
Where is that "+ 05" from?

That layer has to be lifted a distance .15- x meters which requires work of
8.82π(0.15- x) dx Joules. The total is the integral of that as x goes from 0 to 0.15.

I have a hard time understanding what you did. Try it this way. First define a slice of water of thickness "dy". Its mass is [itex]dm = \rho \pi r^2 dy[/itex]. The amount of work you need to do to lift each slice from its position y to the final height of h = .2 m is [itex]dW = g(h - y)dm = \rho \pi r^2 g(h - y)dy[/itex]. Integrate this from y = 0, 0.125m.

Okay let me try again from mass, [tex]m=.9h,kg\pi[/tex] and then i plug

that into [tex]\vec{F}=m\vec{a}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{a}=9.8m/s^2[/tex] get [tex]\vec{F}=8.82h,N\pi[/tex]

so then I plug that into [tex]\vec{W}=\vec{F}d[/tex] which would give me

[tex]\vec{W}=(8.82h)(.20-h)J\pi[/tex]... I used this [tex].20-h[/tex] because

the drink is going to be moving through the straw which is .05m above the top

of the glass(top of glass=.15m) and then to find the work I

[tex]\pi\int_{0}^{.125}(8.82h)(.20-h)dh[/tex] and this time I got

[tex].0252554597J[/tex]...how does that look I think the only place we got

different results is the the height. So is this correct? And would

[tex].05+x[/tex] be okay?

Last edited:
Again, it is difficult to follow what you are doing. It seems you are using "h" both as a constant (the height of the fluid?) and as your variable of integration. See my previous post and see if you can follow what I did.

Also, most of the time it's easier if you wait until the last minute before plugging in numbers and grinding out the arithmetic. That also minimizes errors.

[tex]m=(.0009mdhm^3)(1000kg/m^3)[/tex]

[tex]\vec{F}=(.9dhkg\pi)(9.8m/s^2)[/tex]

[tex]\vec{W}=(8.82dhN\pi)(.20m-h)[/tex]

[tex]\pi\int_{0}^{.125}(8.82)(.20-h)dhJ[/tex]

And then integrate away? Is that correct? I got [tex].476J[/tex]

Looks right to me.

What is the purpose of computing work?

The purpose of computing work is to use computers and technology to process and analyze data, perform tasks, and solve problems.

How is computing work used in different fields?

Computing work is used in a variety of fields such as science, engineering, medicine, business, and entertainment. It helps in data collection, analysis, and visualization, as well as automating tasks and improving efficiency.

What skills are needed for computing work?

Some key skills needed for computing work include problem-solving, analytical thinking, programming, data analysis, and creativity. It is also important to have a good understanding of computer hardware and software.

What are the benefits of computing work?

Computing work has many benefits, including increasing efficiency and productivity, enabling faster and more accurate data analysis, and providing access to vast amounts of information. It also allows for remote collaboration and communication.

What is the future of computing work?

The future of computing work is constantly evolving and expanding. Advancements in technology, such as artificial intelligence and machine learning, will continue to shape how computing work is used in various industries. It is important to stay updated with new developments and adapt to changing technology in order to stay competitive in the field.