Exploring the Purpose of Resultant Velocity in 2D Motion

In summary, the purpose of a resultant velocity in 2D motion is to combine the effects of multiple velocities into a single overall velocity. It is used to find the vertical and horizontal components of a velocity, as well as the overall magnitude of the velocity. The components of a velocity are dependent on the choice of coordinate axes, but the magnitude remains constant. The resultant velocity is also relevant in understanding kinetic energy and combining multiple velocities.
mmegdill
I have a pretty simple question: What is the purpose of a resultant velocity in 2D motion? Is it used for anything besides finding the vertical and horizontal components?

For example, I was given this problem:

Sharron dives off a spring board into the pool 3m below with a velocity of 8 m/s at an angle of 80° to the horizontal. What are the vertical and horizontal components of her velocity? What height does she reach before beginning her descent? How far from the spring board horizontally does she hit the water?

I can solve this problem without difficulty, but it got me wondering what the point of her 8m/s velocity is. Is it used for anything ever?

Physics news on Phys.org
The resultant velocity is in a sense the "physical" unit.
When you are driving in your car, a lot of forces are acting on you (the wind, your engine, friction from the road and the air). Your speedometer showing 50 km/h (or mi/h, depending on where you live :-)) is giving you the resultant velocity though: the effect of everything combined into the actual velocity with which you move relative to the road.

So I would turn it around and say that actually the decomposition is only for calculational purposes and the resultant is the relevant quantity.

To add to CompuChip's reply...
Note that the "components of the velocity [or any vector, in general]" depend on your choice of coordinate axes. You get different numerical values for the components with a different set of axes. However, the magnitude of the vector will the same, regardless of what axes you choose.

When you study "kinetic energy", you'll see that the speed (the magnitude of the velocity) is featured... not the components [although these can be used to calculate the speed].

By the way...
When I think of "resultant velocity", I think of combining the effects of two velocities... suppose I walk with some velocity in a train car, which itself is moving over the ground... How fast am I moving with respect to the ground?

1. What is the definition of resultant velocity?

Resultant velocity is the vector sum of two or more individual velocities. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each velocity to determine the overall velocity of an object.

2. How is resultant velocity calculated?

To calculate resultant velocity, you must first break down each individual velocity into its components (x and y). Then, you can use vector addition to find the sum of the x components and the sum of the y components. Finally, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude and trigonometry to find the direction of the resultant velocity.

3. What is the importance of resultant velocity in physics?

Resultant velocity is important in physics because it helps us understand the overall motion of an object. It takes into account all the individual velocities acting on an object and allows us to accurately predict its future motion.

4. How does resultant velocity differ from average velocity?

Resultant velocity is a vector quantity, while average velocity is a scalar quantity. This means that resultant velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while average velocity only considers the overall speed of an object.

5. Can resultant velocity be greater than the sum of its individual velocities?

Yes, resultant velocity can be greater than the sum of its individual velocities. This is because it takes into account the direction of each velocity, which can result in a larger overall velocity when they are added together.