Advancing in Physics: Advice for Young Aspiring Physicists

In summary, the conversation is about a 16 year old high school student who has a passion for physics and is seeking advice on how to further their education in the field. They have been reading a book by Brian Greene and are currently taking AP Physics in school. They are looking for specific advice on how to better understand physics and if taking AP Calculus over Honors Calculus in high school would provide an advantage in college. The conversation also discusses the difference between honors and AP courses and how physics is taught in the AP curriculum.
Spencer Polak
Hello to all the physicists out there! Before I begin, I'll tell you that I'm a 16 year old currently in my junior year of high school. I've taken on a loving of physics over the past year and have more or less been deeply impassioned by it. The question isn't should I study physics, it's more of where I should go from here. I'm taking AP Physics and have been reading The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene, but I want to begin to learn more in depth about physics.

I revisited an old thread (about a year old) that was posted by someone of a similar age and the answers ended in a rant about "child prodigies" and "insane geniuses", but I don't care about any of that. I just want to do what I love and be good at it.

So that's that, I am just here to ask for advice on where I should go from here and what I should do to further my education. Any advice is welcome since I trust this community as most of you have become physicists yourselves! Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

Read Zapperz's excellent article of becoming a physicist:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/so-you-want-to-be-a-physicist.240792/

It may answer some of your questions.
Thank you! I will start reading this (actually I've already started), but I have one question that I'm sure anyone could answer. Would taking AP Calculus over Hon. Calculus in high school provide a significant advantage for me during the first year of college? Or is it just important to know calculus? (or does it really just vary depending on the teacher, the school, etc.?)

Also, this article only gives a very brief overview of how those in high school who wish to study physics should prepare. Although it does offer insight, I was looking more for specific advice on what I should be doing. Obviously I will take the required courses and such, but for now what are ways I can better my understanding of physics?

Last edited:
Spencer Polak said:
Thank you! I will start reading this (actually I've already started), but I have one question that I'm sure anyone could answer. Would taking AP Calculus over Hon. Calculus in high school provide a significant advantage for me during the first year of college? Or is it just important to know calculus? (or does it really just vary depending on the teacher, the school, etc.?)

Also, this article only gives a very brief overview of how those in high school who wish to study physics should prepare. Although it does offer insight, I was looking more for specific advice on what I should be doing. Obviously I will take the required courses and such, but for now what are ways I can better my understanding of physics?

Knowing and understanding calculus is really the best thing you can have before taking physics in college, I could tell you that! Not sure the difference between honors and AP is (usually AP was the highest level back when I was in high school) but I'm sure both will make you prepared. Taking AP physics alone should be fine. May I ask how do you guys learn physics in AP? Is it just remembering formals and applying them and understanding them or do you guys perform calculus based problems?

Ahmed Abdalla said:
Knowing and understanding calculus is really the best thing you can have before taking physics in college, I could tell you that! Not sure the difference between honors and AP is (usually AP was the highest level back when I was in high school) but I'm sure both will make you prepared. Taking AP physics alone should be fine. May I ask how do you guys learn physics in AP? Is it just remembering formals and applying them and understanding them or do you guys perform calculus based problems?

Well actually, it's mostly conceptual. We learn based off of AP curriculum which used to be formulas and basic algebra based equations, however now it is more of learning the basic principles and being able to apply them. We learn how to set up and properly perform labs on our own, lab follow ups, procedures taken, etc. We haven't done any calculus based physics, sadly, as most of us who are taking AP Physics are still in Pre-Calculus.

Edit: Now that I think of it, we have done calculus based physics, however very minimally. We just use the basic trig functions and trig graphs as well for waves. Other than that, we haven't gone too in depth.

Last edited:

1. What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world.

2. What skills are needed for a career in physics?

Some important skills for a career in physics include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, mathematical proficiency, critical thinking, and the ability to work independently and in a team. Additionally, proficiency in computer programming and data analysis is becoming increasingly important in the field.

3. What are some common career paths for physicists?

Physicists can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including academia, research and development, healthcare, engineering, and technology. Some common job titles for physicists include research scientist, data analyst, aerospace engineer, and professor.

4. What education and training is required for a career in physics?

Most careers in physics require at least a bachelor's degree, with many positions requiring a graduate degree such as a master's or PhD. Coursework in physics, mathematics, and computer science is typically required, and hands-on laboratory experience is also important.

5. What is the job outlook for physicists?

The job outlook for physicists is expected to grow at a rate of 7% from 2019 to 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations. This growth is driven by the increasing demand for scientific research and development, as well as advancements in technology and healthcare that require the expertise of physicists.