1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pursuing a M Sc. Physics or a M Sc. Chemistry

1. M Sc. Chemistry

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. M Sc. Physics

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Apr 10, 2010 #1
    HI
    I know this is a weird question to ask in this forum, but this is a big question for me.
    I'm currently in my last semester on electrical engineering and physics, so I'll graduate from both, later this year.

After that I have decided to stay in my country (Costa Rica, Central America) to do a Master degree in order to get a better resume so that I can get a better research program since third world universities are not that recognized, even thought my country has a fairly good science program, a much better chemistry than physics (in graduate shool terms).

I'm not sure about what course to follow since what I want to specialize in nanotechnology, since now there are courses just in this area and not as part of a separate department.

Nanotechnology or well the so called nanoscience is extremely interdisciplinary, so I believe that being an electrical engineer and a physicist I'll be able to have broad spectrum in the field but if I undergo a M Sc. in Chemistry I'll have an even broader one.

My major concern resides in that my local physics department is not as good as the chemistry one so I'll have a better research opportunity to do well in chemistry that in physics, also in physics I'll continue to learn topics that I'll saw before, obviously in a more profound way but in either way topics already studied. Instead in chemistry I would start to know about Analytical, organic, inorganic and physical chemistry topics I know nothing about.

So I think that maybe I'll learn more in chemistry and also become a better scientist by broadening my knowledge, but leaving physics makes me feel weird.

Thank you for reading and for your post

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted