1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pursuing Post-Graduate degree in Mechanical or Metallurgy

1. May 16, 2010 #1
    Hi Everyone,

I did my bachelors in mechanical engineering about 7 years back and started a post-graduate course on mechanical design sometime back. But I was unable to complete that because I had to move to another city. But during that course I found the subject 'Theory of Plasticity' very interesting. All that mathematics and plastic deformation phenomena related to metal forming really intrigued me.

Now I have a choice to either get a degree in post-graduate mechanical engineering or metallurgy. What I would like to know is whether my subject of interest lies more in the domain of mechanical engineering or metallurgy. I don't know how this area is studied in metallurgical science; whether the manufacturing aspects are studied only or the mathematical depth of plastic deformation is also studied. I just want to pursue the right post-graduate course which would give me a better understanding, knowledge, and a chance of pursuing higher research in metal plastic deformation after I am done with my post-graduate studies.

Any kind of suggestion would help. Many thanks in advance :)

Farhan

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted