Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pursuing Post-Graduate degree in Mechanical or Metallurgy

1. May 16, 2010 #1
    Hi Everyone,

I did my bachelors in mechanical engineering about 7 years back and started a post-graduate course on mechanical design sometime back. But I was unable to complete that because I had to move to another city. But during that course I found the subject 'Theory of Plasticity' very interesting. All that mathematics and plastic deformation phenomena related to metal forming really intrigued me.

Now I have a choice to either get a degree in post-graduate mechanical engineering or metallurgy. What I would like to know is whether my subject of interest lies more in the domain of mechanical engineering or metallurgy. I don't know how this area is studied in metallurgical science; whether the manufacturing aspects are studied only or the mathematical depth of plastic deformation is also studied. I just want to pursue the right post-graduate course which would give me a better understanding, knowledge, and a chance of pursuing higher research in metal plastic deformation after I am done with my post-graduate studies.

Any kind of suggestion would help. Many thanks in advance :)

Farhan

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted