1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pursuing robotics as career

1. Nov 7, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    I am 1st year frosh currently enrolled in engineering science program at University of Toronto.
    I was always fascinated by robots, and when I joined high school's robotics team and worked as a core executive member, that was pretty much the happiest time of my life.

Anyways, I want to know which education path I should take in order for me to become decent 'mechatronics' engineer.

Currently, in our program we get to choose our specializations in 3rd year. They include, aerospace, biomedical, electrical/computer, physics, nanotechnology, infrastructure, and energy systems. I was thinking of going to electrical/computer since they seem to be closest to robotics itself. However, I heard that aerospace option will allow me to do robotics as well. Which option do you think is better?

Also, I was thinking of doing masters degree in robotics related engineering. They seem to range from mechanical, systems, and electrical/computer engineering. What kind of engineering should I apply for at that time?

Any reply will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2009 #2
    I guess out of that list I personally would choose electrical/computer engineering. Mechanical engineering is a very good choice also, but you don't have that listed up there. Even physics could help. For instance a course in mechanics would be crucial and even solid-state physics might be good too. Robotics sort of combines a lot of engineering together, since you need mathematics/mechanics to help describe configuration spaces, electrical engineering for controls and electronics, computer engineering for hardware/software communication, computer science for algorithms and AI, physics for material science, etc. I definitely am not knowledgeable in robotics, but I was interested in them at a time. This is just general advice. Be sure you get others advice, and hopefully an expert in robotics will descend upon this thread.

Does your school have a robotics team or group of researchers? Go talk to somewhere involved in robotics at your school. Contact a graduate program in robotics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook