Does Turning Off the Lamp on a Push Bike Increase Coasting Distance?

In summary, the question asks if a cyclist would coast further with the lamp connected to the generator turned on or off. If the lamp is turned off, the generator will still turn due to accumulated potentials, but less power will be dissipated and more energy will be turned into motion of the bike. However, if the lamp is turned on, energy from the peddler is used to power the light, decreasing the motion of the bike.
pivoxa15

Homework Statement

The dynamo (generator) of a push bike is made to turn when the bicycle wheel turns. The generator provides energy to light the bicycle’s lamp. Would a cyclist coast further if the lamp connected to the generator were turned on or off? Why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If on then power is dissipated via P=I^2R so some energy from the peddler is given to powering the light.

If off then no power is lost and the generator will turn by itself (although some energy is lost to friction which must come from the peddler) after it has turned a cycle. This is because potentials get accumulated on the ends of the disconnected ciruit and can be reversed to allow for the induced emf in direction and magnitude. Hence if the peddler supplies the same amount of energy as the first case of lamp turned on then a lot more percentage of energy is turned into motion of the bike. So coast further with lamp turned off.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right but I'm not sure of your explanation. Basically with the generator on it is obviously removing energy from the motion of the bike (that is why the light is on) whereas with the generator off the bike only loses energy to friction and thus will coast further.

Why is the generator off? When the switch is off, it dosen't mean the generator is off or does it? Or you mean when the generator doesn't carry current to a load, it is considered off. In the problem, the generator will always spin when the man is pedaling. The generator would still rotate but no significant power is dissipated. The current will flow in half a cycle in one direction and another direction in the other half cycle but with much less power dissipatted since the current doen't go to power any load. So the reason could be easier than what I stated in my OP.

I suppose it depends what kind of dynamo you use. All the ones I've seen when you want to turn them off you just move them awa from the wheel so they are no longer in contact. This happens for the obvious reason that the extra friction caused by it makes it more difficult to pedal.

1. How does a push bike with a lamp work?

A push bike with a lamp uses a dynamo or generator to convert the mechanical energy from pedaling into electrical energy. This energy powers the lamp, allowing the rider to see and be seen while riding at night.

2. What is the purpose of a lamp on a push bike?

The purpose of a lamp on a push bike is to provide visibility and safety for the rider while riding at night or in low light conditions. The lamp also helps other vehicles and pedestrians to see the bike and avoid accidents.

3. Are there different types of lamps for push bikes?

Yes, there are different types of lamps for push bikes. Some bikes have built-in lamps that are powered by a dynamo or battery, while others have detachable lamps that can be easily removed and recharged. There are also different types of lamps such as LED, halogen, and incandescent, each with their own unique features and benefits.

4. Do all push bikes have lamps?

No, not all push bikes come with lamps. Some bikes may come with reflectors instead, which are also used to increase visibility. However, it is recommended to have a lamp on your bike for better visibility and safety while riding at night.

5. How do I maintain the lamp on my push bike?

To maintain the lamp on your push bike, you should regularly check the batteries or dynamo to ensure they are charged or functioning properly. Keep the lamp clean and free from dirt and debris, and replace any damaged or burnt out bulbs. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for maintenance and replacement of the lamp.