1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Push to the limits

1. Nov 30, 2008 #1
    Good morning :)

I got a couple of question, hope I wont bother you guys too much.. its about function limits.

1)

[​IMG]
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

what I tried to do was to say that for all delta>x-(7/4) there is 3x/(4x-7)>M
    than I tried to work with 3x/(4x-7)>M so that ill get an expression that looks like x-(7/4) but I got stuck trying to get it out of the denominator.

2)

[​IMG]

if to every epsilon>0 theres a x0 so that for all x > x0 exists |f(x) - L| > epsilon.
    tried developing the |f(x) - L| > epsilon part but got stuck in: |(2x+7)/(x^2 +3x +1)| < epsilon

3)

for extra credit :) I need to prove (using epsilon and delta) that if a function has a limit (when x->infinity) then its singular, meaning if f(x) [x->infinity]=L and f(x) [x->infinity]=K then L=K !

I know it probably dosent seem like I tried too hard from the attempts to solution I wrote but I wasted quite a few pages on different tries. They just dont seem to get me anywhere so I saved me the trouble of trying to write them in english (not exactly my forte..)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2008 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I don't understand exactly what the question is, but I'll assume you want to prove these limits. However, I have only studied limits at a highschool level so my answers could be completely off the topic. If so, just disregard my post.

1) I thought this would be obvious. Take the numerator - for x->7/4+, it equals 21/4 (positive). The denominator - it approaches 0 from the positive end. Thus we have a positive number divided by an infinitesimally small positive number. Approaching infinite.

2) Use the result that for lim (x-> infinite) 1/x = 0.
    Divide both numerator and denominator by the highest power of x, so we have (1+5/x+8/x^2)/(1+3/x+1/x^2). As x -> infinite, all parts with the variable in the denominator will approach 0. Therefore we end up with 1/1.

3) Sorry I don't understand this.

4. Nov 30, 2008 #3
    thanks for trying but your answers are regarded as "intuitive" at this point

5. Nov 30, 2008 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You want to show that, given a number M > 0, there exists a small number [tex]\delta > 0[/tex] such that when [tex]0 < x - 7/4 < \delta, \frac{3x}{4x -7} > M[/tex].

Because this is a right-hand limit, you don't need absolute values around x - 7/4.

So let's find delta.
    We want [tex]\frac{3x}{4x - 7} > M[/tex]
    or, [tex]3x > M(4x - 7)[/tex]
    Since x > 7/4, 4x - 7 > 0, so the direction of the inequality doesn't change.
    Now bring all the terms involving x to one side of the inequality, to solve for x.

You should end up with [tex]x < \frac{7M}{4M - 3}[/tex], so take delta to be the value on the right minus 7/4.

6. Nov 30, 2008 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You don't have this quite right. For every epsilon > 0 there is a (large) number M so that when x > M, |f(x) - 1| is less than epsilon. I used M here instead of x0, not because x0 is incorrect, but just to convey the idea that M is supposed to represent a large number. I also replaced your L with the limit value, 1.

Here I have used [tex]f(x) = \frac{x^2 + 5x + 8}{x^2 +3x +1}[/tex]. As your work shows, f(x) - 1 = (2x + 7)/(x^2 + 3x + 1).

Work with the inequality: -eps < f(x) - 1 < eps, or 1 - eps < (2x + 7)/(x^2 + 3x + 1) < 1 + eps. Try to break this down so that you have x in the middle of the inequality, and expressions involving epsilon on either end. If you can get there, you can figure out what M has to be.

7. Nov 30, 2008 #6
    Thanks mark, ill try solving 2 and see if I can get there.
    as to 3, I managed to prove it myself :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?