1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pushing a box (forces)

1. Nov 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You exert a constant horizontal force on a large box. As a result the box moves across a horizontal floor at a constant speed v0.

If you double the constant horizontal force on the box, how would the box then move?

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma = m dv/dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, this question is a tad confusing to me, if the box is moving at a constant speed v0 then I have to assume that I would just push the box for an instant & then get it to move at a constant v0.

If I were to double the force, then I would think that the speed would then be 2v0, however this is not the case... (dv/dt is proportional to F)

Can anyone explain how to determine the motion?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You are misinterpreting the problem. The only reason the box continues moving at constant speed is because you keep pushing with the constant horizontal force. Hint: What's the net force acting on the box? What other force must be acting on the box?

4. Nov 28, 2007 #3
    Thanks for your reply

Alright so if I draw a free body diagram and add in friction I can see
    ma = F - Ff
    Since the velocity is constant a = 0 so
    F = Ff

So if I double F to 2F, then it's accelerating?
    2F - Ff = ma
    F = ma
    a = F/m ?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  5. Nov 28, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Very good!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?