1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pushing a crate

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The force F, acting in a constant direction on the 20 kg block has a magnitude which varies with position s of the block. Determine the speed of the block after it slides 3 m. When s=0 the block is moving to the right at 2 m/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction is .3
    F = 50s^2 and pushes on the crate from the hypot of a 3,4,5 triangle.

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the x,y components of force to be Fx = 40s^2, Fy = 30s^2
    I found the Normal to be 30s^2 + 196.2 which i multiplied by u=.3 to get a frictional force in the oposite direction of 9s^2+58.86

I do not understand how to incorporate the initial velocity of 2 m/s, nore do i kow what equations to use. My book seems to hint at .5mv^2+Ps-uNs=.5mv^2 but i do not know what P is. Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Find net Fx.
    You can write f = dv/dt = dv/ds*ds/dt = v*dv/ds
    So along x-axis v*dv = [40s^2 - ( 9s^2+58.86)]ds
    Find the integration. To find the constant of integration c, use the condition , when s = 0 v= 2 m/s. Then to get the required answer put s = 3 m.

4. Apr 8, 2009 #3
    Hey thanks a lot. Im pretty sure i got it but could u double check.

ok so i integrated and c=2, i pluged it in and solved for v

v=((80/3)s^3-6s^3-117.72s+2)^1/2 @ s=3, v=14.38 m/s

let me know how i did

5. Apr 8, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Your answer is correct.

6. Jun 18, 2011 #5
    Forgive me if I'm incorrect, but as I understand it that is the incorrect approach.

I believe the hint you described suggests that this problem should be solved using the work-energy relationship.

the first .5mv^2 refers to initial kinetic energy or ΣT(1) [this is where you use the initial velocity]
    Ps-UNs refers to the change in work; P being the applied force (Fx), U being coefficient of friction, and s being displacement, or [ΣU(1-2)]
    the last .5mv^2 refers to final kinetic energy, or ΣT(2)

I found a different final velocity using this method.
    good luck!

7. Jun 18, 2011 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Hi INTJ BSME, welcome to PF.
    Show your calculations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook