Proving Geodesic Pushed by Isometric Diffeomorphism

• Thread starter CompuChip
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geodesic
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between isometric diffeomorphisms and geodesics on Riemannian manifolds. The participants consider the intuition that \sigma_* \gamma = \sigma \circ \gamma is a geodesic on N, but are unsure how to formally prove it. They discuss the possibility of using the locally length minimizing property and the fact that geodesics parallel transport their own tangent vectors, but also consider the idea of proving it directly from the definition of a geodesic.
CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hello.

Suppose that [itex]\sigma: (M, g) \to (N, h)[/itex] is an isometric diffeomorphism between two Riemannian manifolds M and N and let [itex]\gamma: [0, 1] \to M[/itex] be a geodesic on M.
Because [itex]\sigma[/itex] preserves distances, and geodesics are locally length minimizing, it is intuitively clear that [itex]\sigma_* \gamma = \sigma \circ \gamma[/itex] is a geodesic on N, but I'm having some trouble proving this.
In particular, I don't see which characterization of geodesics is the most convenient (I suppose it is the locally length minimizing property; but I don't really see how to express that formally).
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps the fact that geodesics parallel transport their own tangent vectors? The local isometry pretty much by definition does so, so geodesics are preserved.

That's definitely a possibility, but I think it's quite elaborate. It involves dealing with the two different Levi-Civita connections
[tex]\nabla^M_{\dot\gamma} \dot\gamma = \nabla^N_{(\sigma \circ \gamma)^\cdot} (\sigma \circ \gamma)^\cdot[/tex]
with [itex]\nabla^{M,N}[/itex] denoting the connection on the respective manifolds, and [itex](\sigma \circ \gamma)^\cdot[/itex] is the derivative w.r.t. t.

Since there is such an intuitive meaning to the statement (geodesics have to do with minimal length curves, and isometries are precisely those maps that preserve lengths) I was sort of hoping for a proof in that direction.

Last edited:
I would have thought that the latter is more difficult actually. Isometry is an intrinsically local concept, and finite lengths are not.

Your idea works. A geodesic minimizes length locally. Under an isometry this must be true in both manifolds because curve length is preserved.

I think it is instructive though to prove this directly from the definition of a geodesic rather than appeal to this difficult theorem.

1. What is a geodesic?

A geodesic is the shortest path between two points on a curved surface. It is the equivalent of a straight line on a flat surface.

2. What is an isometric diffeomorphism?

An isometric diffeomorphism is a type of mathematical function that preserves the length of curves and angles on a surface. In other words, it is a transformation that maintains the shape and size of a surface without distorting it.

3. How are geodesics affected by isometric diffeomorphisms?

Isometric diffeomorphisms do not change the shape of a surface, so they do not affect the overall path of a geodesic. However, they may change the parameterization of the geodesic, meaning that the length of the curve may be represented differently.

4. Why is it important to prove geodesic pushed by isometric diffeomorphism?

Proving that geodesics are pushed by isometric diffeomorphisms is important because it confirms the validity and accuracy of these mathematical concepts. It also allows for a better understanding and application of these concepts in various fields, such as physics and geometry.

5. What are the practical applications of proving geodesic pushed by isometric diffeomorphism?

Understanding the relationship between geodesics and isometric diffeomorphisms has practical applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and medical imaging. It can also help in the development of advanced navigation systems and efficient transportation routes.