1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pushing a Wheel over a Bump

1. Jul 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You have a wheel of mass m and radius R you're trying to push it onto a block of height h that it's next to. Find the minimum force F that will let you do this. F is completely horizontal and acts upon the center of the wheel.

2. Relevant equations

I'm trying to solve this by pretending the wheel is a lever attached to the edge of the block. It has two forces acting on it F and gravity. To find the minimum force I assume F*sin(theta)*R=G*Sin(theta)*R

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe that the line from the part where the wheel touches the block to the center of the wheel makes a degree of arcsin(1-h/r) Then I try to calculate the degree each force makes with the perpendicular of the imaginary lever to get g*m*cos(Pi/2-arcsin(1-h/r))==F*cos(arcsin(1-h/r)). Then I solve for F and get a wrong answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Jul 15, 2012 #3
    Are you sure? It's a given that F is pushing on the center and I'm assuming that gravity is working on the center of mass, which should be the same as the center.

5. Jul 15, 2012 #4
    Use the point of contact between wheel and the block as fulcrum.
    Use moments to solve the problem.

6. Jul 15, 2012 #5
    That's what I did, but apparently I messed up the trig on my way to the answer.

7. Jul 15, 2012 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Gravity is vertical, the force is horizontal. You use the touching point between ball and block as pivot point. The arms are not equal.

ehild

8. Jul 15, 2012 #7
    Use phytagoras theorem to find arms length.
    For using trig function,
    Weight, it should be mgCosθ.R

9. Jul 15, 2012 #8
    Thanks, it turns out I had switched the angle of gravity with the angle of the force.

10. Jul 15, 2012 #9
    As a second question, what would the arm length be if the force was acting at the top of the wheel instead of at the middle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook