Optimal Technique for Opening Windows on a Moving Bus: Push or Pull?

In summary, the question of whether it is easier to open a window on an ordinary bus by pushing it upward while seated or pulling it upward while standing was discussed. The response was that it may depend on one's definition of "easier", but from an ergonomic viewpoint, opening the window while seated would put less strain on the body. Additionally, opening the window while standing would require the use of wrist flexor muscles, which may not be as strong as the triceps used when opening the window while seated.
X Kim
So if in an ordinary bus, is it easier to open a window by pushing it upward while seated or by pulling it upward while standing?

Question came up in our exams today. I answered while seated. Not quite sure though.

Physics news on Phys.org
X Kim said:
So if in an ordinary bus, is it easier to open a window by pushing it upward while seated or by pulling it upward while standing?

Question came up in our exams today. I answered while seated. Not quite sure though.
Welcome to the PF.

It depends on what is meant by "easier", but from an ergonomic standpoint, doing it seated would put less strain on your back in general, IMO.

Not just strain on your back, but lifting it while standing would largely rely on wrist flexor muscles which are not as strong as the triceps that would be the key muscle group for the seated approach (I think)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between a pushing and pulling question?

A pushing question is one that is designed to elicit a specific answer or response from the person being asked, often with the intention of persuading or influencing them. On the other hand, a pulling question is one that is open-ended and encourages the person being asked to share their thoughts and opinions. While pushing questions can be more direct and targeted, pulling questions allow for more open and honest communication.

2. When should I use pushing and pulling questions in my research?

Both types of questions can be useful in different research situations. Pushing questions can be helpful for gathering specific data or prompting participants to think about a certain topic in a particular way. Pulling questions can be useful for gaining insights and understanding the perspectives and experiences of participants. It's important to consider the purpose of your research and the type of information you are trying to gather when deciding which type of question to use.

3. Can pushing and pulling questions be used in the same research study?

Yes, it is common for researchers to use both pushing and pulling questions in the same study. This allows for a balanced approach and can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the topic being studied. However, it's important to use each type of question strategically and consider how they may complement or conflict with each other.

4. How can I avoid bias when using pushing and pulling questions?

It's important to be aware of your own biases when crafting and asking pushing and pulling questions. Make sure to use neutral and non-leading language to avoid influencing the responses of participants. It may also be helpful to have a diverse and unbiased team review your questions before conducting the research.

5. Are there any ethical considerations when using pushing and pulling questions?

Yes, it's important to consider the potential impact of pushing and pulling questions on participants. Pushing questions that are too direct or forceful may make participants feel uncomfortable or pressured. Pulling questions that are too personal or invasive may also be unethical. It's important to obtain informed consent from participants and prioritize their well-being throughout the research process.