Pushing Off On Ice: Newton's 3rd Law Explained

• Thread starter Vexxed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of momentum and its application in a scenario where one person pushes another on a frozen pond. The first scenario involves both individuals moving away from each other at equal speeds, but in the opposite direction. The second scenario involves one person being fixed to the ground, resulting in a different outcome due to conservation of momentum. The conversation also touches on the difference between "push" and force, and the concept of impulse. Ultimately, the force acting on both individuals is the same, resulting in the same acceleration and final velocity.
Vexxed
Okay, this is something that's been bugging me for a long time, and I should have asked my physics teacher this past year way back when we were discussing mechanics, but I never could remember to do it.

Let's say I have an identical twin, and we're both on a big frozen pond, standing still relative to the pond and the earth. I push him with a force F, and through Newton's 2nd law I'm pushed back with a force of F. He goes one way with velocity V, I go with velocity -V (relative to the earth). But what if he has special boots, or is nailed to the ground, or is stuck in the ice, or through whatever means is fixed to the earth? Would I still have velocity -V relative to the pond, or would it be -2V or something else entirely?

Back when I first started turning this over in my head, I thought that I exert F on him (and he F on me from Newton's 2nd), but since he's attached to the ground, he exerts F on the ground, which exerts F on him, which gets transferred to me, which means 2F total is exerted on me, and I'd move backward at -2V.

But I was thinking today about conservation of momentum... in the first scenario, since our masses are equal, our speeds would be equal, but in the opposite direction. But in the second scenario, the only difference is that I'm not just pushing him, I'm pushing him and the earth, which has a bit more mass and wouldn't have any significant change of motion - and I'd still have just the regular old F put back on me, and still move -V relative to the earth.

Now my problem is that the first solution doesn't seem right with all the transfers of force and whatnot, but the second seems kind of counterintuitive since I'm exerting a force on the frame of reference itself, and it seems that my speed should be different because of the different setup. But since the frame (the earth) won't be moving much due to the force, it can still be used as a frame of reference... Sorry if this all sounds kinda confusing, it's hard to put into words, especially considering I've only had one year of high school physics, but I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on the subject...

EDIT: It's the 3rd law, not the second... yeah, it's been a while for me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you two are standing upright, then the forces you exert on each other will actually turn into torques about your feet. Your natural impulse when being pushed is to restabilize yourself, and this alters the transfer of momentum completely. If we ignore this though, then as you said, the force he pushes you with will be the force your body applies to him. (2nd Law). You will both float away at the same speed (same mass).

If he is nailed to the ground however, then you can relate the situation to pushing against a wall. The quantity you are interested in for this problem is called impulse. It's defined algebraically by:

[tex] F\Delta t = \Delta mv [/tex] and it actually follows from Newton's second law.

Impulse is a change in momentum, so let's say you have mass 50kg, apply a force of 50N for 1 second. You then apply a total impulse of 50kgm/s. You now have momentum of 50kgm/s the instant the force is done being applied, and will float away at 50kgm/s / 50 kg = 1m/s.

However, the wall is a different story. It will absorb the force and depending on its physical characteristics, like structure and material, will dissipate this force into the ground and as a result move a miniscule and negligible amount. During this time though, the wall applies no force or impulse on you other than the reaction force you applied to it. If you draw force diagrams for yourself and the wall, then you will see why this holds. You experience only one force from the wall while you are pushing at it (which in turn gives you velocity 'v = 1m/s'). Once you are no longer touching the wall, there are no forces bothering you, and you experience no change in momentum.

There is some difference between "push" and force. Whether you or your twin will be "pushing", the force acting on you will be the same. Just imagine that there is a solid wall between your palms. Thus if the wall is "pushing" you, you will apply some force to the wall in any case. Or the wall may be steady and you will "push" yourself.

There will be different story if the wall is "pushing" and you are trying to "push" the wall as well. I mean that you are trying to accelerate with respect to the accelerating wall. Now the force may be doubled, and your final speed will be doubled as well.

As a matter of fact, it is often more easy to consider the conservation of energy in such cases (grounded walls). It is because for the case of an interaction an object of the infinite mass will not change its energy, but it will get some impulse to conserve the total momentum. Thus if you and your twin will make the same job to "push" , then your speed will be bigger if your twin is fixed to the ground.

Very simply, if he is fixed to the ground and you do all of the pushing, you would move away at -2V. There would be energy lost through being absorbed by his knees, ankles etc. If he is pushing back equally to your push, then you would move away at -4V.

I think the same force acts on you both ways, that is, -F. And therefore, your acceleration will be the same and so will the final velocity (assuming that the contact time is the same).

This is consistent with the law of conservation of linear momentum which states that:
The total momentum of an isolated system remains constant.
According to this, the Earth will be in the system as stated correctly in the first post.

What if the twin is twice your mass? Then what?

quasi426 said:
Then he's not your twin :tongue2:

quasi426 said:
As I said, the energy should be conserved. If you are both on ice, he will have a speed twice as smaller then yours. If he is fixed to Earth, then your speed depends on how much job you did together, and all this job will go to your kinetic energy (sweating neglected)

What is Newton's 3rd Law?

Newton's 3rd Law, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

How does Newton's 3rd Law apply to pushing off on ice?

When you push off on ice, your foot exerts a force on the ice in the opposite direction of the way you are pushing. This is the action. As a result, the ice exerts an equal and opposite force back on your foot, which propels you forward. This is the reaction.

What factors can affect the amount of force generated when pushing off on ice?

The amount of force generated when pushing off on ice can be affected by several factors, including the angle and direction of the push, the friction between your foot and the ice, and the strength and speed of the push.

Why does it feel easier to push off on ice compared to other surfaces?

Pushing off on ice may feel easier because ice has less friction compared to other surfaces, such as concrete or carpet. This means that there is less resistance to your push, allowing you to generate more force and propel yourself forward more easily.

How does understanding Newton's 3rd Law help in sports and other activities?

Understanding Newton's 3rd Law can help in sports and other activities by allowing you to effectively use force to your advantage. By applying the right amount of force in the right direction, you can achieve greater speed, acceleration, and control in your movements. This can be especially beneficial in activities like ice skating, skiing, and other sports that involve pushing off on surfaces.