1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pushing on a Block

1. Feb 6, 2013 #1
    Two forces, F1 and F2, act on the m = 7.20 kg block shown in the figure below.

pushing on a block.gif

The magnitudes of the forces are F1 = 56.8 N and F2 = 39.2 N. θ = 70.4°. What is the magnitude of the horizontal acceleration of the block?

Relevant equations
    V0x=v0cosθ
    V0y=v0cosθ
    F=ma

The attempt at a solution
    Too many to list
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2013 #2
    Before you can calculate the net horizontal acceleration, you need to find the net Horizontal force on the block. then Newtons second law should work to give you the net horizontal acceleration.

4. Feb 6, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I've seen better worded questions. Since the block appears against a fixed surface (a table?), I'd guess there's a third force (and a fourth if there's gravity). And you just have to assume there are no more unmentioned forces, such as friction.

5. Feb 7, 2013 #4
    F1=56.8 N
    F2=39.2 N
    Weight of the block is 70.56, so the force the table is exerting upward on the block is 70.56 N.

So the net force is 166.56N?

I know that if I divide that by the mass, I will not get the correct answer.

So what's next?

6. Feb 7, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No. Resolve each force on the block into its horizontal and vertical components. What do you get? What are the accelerations in those directions (using unknowns where appropriate)? So what equations can you write
    (Actually, you'll find you don't need to worry about the vertical direction at all, but let's do this thoroughly.)

7. Feb 7, 2013 #6
    I got 13.15N for the horizontal and 53.50N as the vertical. I don't really know if those are correct and I don't understand what to do afterwards.

8. Feb 7, 2013 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's just adding up the forces in the diagram, right? But as I mentioned, the normal force is missing. What will the acceleration be in the vertical direction? What does that tell you about the normal force?
    Given that there are no other horizontal forces, what will the horizontal acceleration be?

9. Feb 7, 2013 #8
    In the vertical direction I got 1.91 m/s^2 for acceleration. I think the horizontal acceleration in 5.44 m/s^2.

I am sorry, I'm just very bad at following written directions

10. Feb 7, 2013 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Horizontal sounds about right. For vertical, how is the block going to accelerate through the table?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook