Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Puting on weight

1. Jul 19, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Well i am not sure if am or not, i do not have a weighing machine, however
    i seem to have more mass about the middle, even though i am the same jean size as before, this is strange as if any thing i eat less and less and am as acctive as ever, could i be retaining water?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You are 55. You are oozing into old age. :smile:

4. Jul 19, 2006 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, your mass is shifting. :biggrin:

5. Jul 19, 2006 #4

nazzard

Gold Member

Just blame the hot summer and the thermal expansion that comes along with it for any "reorganization" of your body. :wink:

Oh and weighing machines are evil. :devil:

Wait....why is my sign Libra? :rolleyes:

6. Jul 19, 2006 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Now come on folkes this Wollie your talking to, from your posts it seems you are being very un scientific, i note that mass can not move without some input of energy, and age alone can not reshape a body, it is all to do with
    E=MC2, now back to my water retension theory, i wonder if i should start monitoring fluid in/out put.

7. Jul 19, 2006 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Maybe some water retention - but I doubt it. Maybe reduce salt intake.

Also, as one ages, the metabolism decreases.

When you say 'active as ever', what does that mean? It could mean normal routine, which for most people doesn't involve much increase in metabolism.

To keep weight/mass down, one needs to do some form of vigorous excercise - like walking quickly ( 3mi/hr) for at least 20 minutes. Consider going for a brisk 2 mile walk - in the morning or evening.

And watch those calories. Eat complex carbohydrates, rather than sugar and starch (processed food) and lean meats.

8. Jul 19, 2006 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Besides, your muscles are degenerating into fatty tissue.

Soon, the liver spots and palsy arrive..:smile:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  9. Jul 19, 2006 #8
    Don't forget the turkey throat :uhh:

10. Jul 19, 2006 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Aah yes, I forgot that an old man's body is flaccid everywhere.
    Thanks for the reminder. :smile:

11. Jul 19, 2006 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Nahh, my muscles are not degenerating, biceps, lats, leg muscles are still
    shapely.:tongue2:

12. Jul 19, 2006 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

How about gluteus maximus, then?

13. Jul 19, 2006 #12

wolram

Gold Member

Generalisation, tut, tut, Didno, i could give you firm evidence that that is not
    very scientific :tongue2:

14. Jul 19, 2006 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

How nice for you! :smile:

15. Jul 19, 2006 #14
    I don't know why you are cutting calories. Maybe you are just busy... but if your goal is to lose weight (either conciously or you may have just noticed you are not eating as much as a reaction from putting on a little bit of weight) it is a bad way to do it. You really should eat six times a day, and monitor the percentage of carbs/protein/fat and of course calories.

Start with a baseline. Lets say you need 2000 calories to maintain your present weight. Divide that by 6 and try to have that many calories per meal. You also want to strive for a percentage of carbs/protein/fat per meal. Bodybuilders in a cutting stage (a quick way to shave of fat) use a 40/40/20 ratio.

Check
    General Outline
    Calculator for ratios

Or just find your baseline caloric need (what causes you to not gain weight), I believe that "calculator" website above has information on it. Then add an exercise, for example, walking for 30 minutes. Lets say this exercise burns 300 calories. You can either eat those 300 calories as treats, or instead let your body decide to do with them, it will choose to burn them. Don't cut too many calories, or the body will burn muscle instead.

So my point is, IF you get more physically active and eat less, you will gain some fat, or at the least you will slow your metabolism down.

16. Jul 19, 2006 #15

wolram

Gold Member

Well apart from a passing resemblance, but i can not say those historical depictions are accurate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?