1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Putnam 1985 B3

1. Jul 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the problem at this site http://www.kalva.demon.co.uk/putnam/psoln/psol859.html, how an array with n^2 elements contain 8*n elements (8 for each positive integer) when n is not equal to 8? Does that type of algebra not work with an infinite number of elements...?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The point is a_{ij}>i*j. You will run out of numbers at a finite point even if a_{ij} gets to be hugely large. It's not really a Cantor problem. The index set is the limit.
  4. Jul 28, 2007 #3
    My point is that if you think of the number of elements in the array as

[tex]lim_{n\to \infty} n^2[/tex] then it at least seems odd that this number could be the same as [tex] lim_{n\to\infty}8n [/tex].

So, you are saying that logic only holds for finite sets, right?
    That is probably just my ignorance of infinite set theory.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  5. Jul 28, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The point is that you can find an N such that the number of pairs (i,j) with i*j<N is greater than 8*N. You could compute this N, if I'm doing my numbers right it's less than 10000. That means the problem doesn't have much to do with infinite set theory.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?