Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Putnam 2003, prob B1 solved the hard way

1. Oct 20, 2004 #1
    we're doing tensor products in my algebra class. here's an example the prof gave us.

problem: Can the polynomial [tex]1+xy+x^2y^2[/tex] be written in the form [tex]a(x)b(y)+c(x)d(y)[/tex] for polynomials a, b, c, d?

sol: [tex]\mathbb{R}^3 \otimes \mathbb{R}^3 \cong \mathbb{R}^3 \cong \mathcal{P}_2(x) \otimes \mathcal{P}_2(y) \cong \mathcal{P} \cong[/tex] polynomials in x & y whose degree is no greater than 2.

Let [tex]\Phi: \mathcal{P} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^3[/tex]. (which is an isomorphism) Then [tex]\Phi(1+xy+x^2y^2) = \left( \begin{array}{ccc} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right) = I_3[/tex]

[tex]\Phi(a(x)b(y)) = [/tex] a matrix with rank 1

[tex]\Phi(c(x)d(y)) = [/tex] a matrix with rank 1

The matrix [tex] I_3 [/tex] has rank 3, but the sum of ranks is subadditive, ie. the sum of ranks of [tex]\Phi(a(x)b(y))[/tex] & [tex]\Phi(c(x)d(y))[/tex] can be 0, 1, 2 but not 3, so it is impossible.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted