1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Putnam and beyond prob 124

1. May 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let a,b,c be the side lengths of a triangle with semiperimeter 1. Prove that

[tex]1 < ab + bc + ca - abc \leq 28/27[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    the AM-GM inequality:

If x_1,...,x_n are nonnegative real numbers, then

[tex]\frac{\sum x_i}{n} \leq \left( \Pi x_i\right)^{1/n}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can get "close" to the second inequality. Applying AM-GM to a+b-c,a-b+c,-a+b+c gives

[tex]8/27 \geq a^3 +b^3 +c^3 -2abc +a^2b+ab^2+ac^2 +a^2 c+bc^2 +b^2 c [/tex]

Applying AM-GM to a,b,c gives

[tex]8/27 \geq abc [/tex]

and then we can add the two inequalities to obtain

[tex]16/27 \geq a^3 +b^3 +c^3 -abc +a^2b+ab^2+ac^2 +a^2 c+bc^2 +b^2 c [/tex]

Ok maybe thats not really close...

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2008 #2
    I would probably just look at the limiting cases.

First, arbitrarily set a <= b <= c.

What if one of the sides becomes arbitrarily small? Well, if a =~ 0, then b = c and
    ab + bc + ca - abc = 0 + 1 + 0 - 0 = 1.

Since a triangle with sides of length 0, 1, 1 isn't technically a triangle, we don't include this lower limiting number.

Next, we guess the only other special triangle we can think of: the equilateral triangle. Thus a = b = c = 2/3, and ab + bc + ca - abc = 4/9 + 4/9 + 4/9 - 8/27 = 28/27. Since an equilateral triangle is a triangle, this is acceptable, and we keep the equality.

Can this reasoning be made mathematically precise? Let's see.

Let's call ab + bc + ca - abc F(a, b, c)... that is, F(a, b, c) = ab + bc + ca - abc

The gradient of F is grad F(a, b, c) = (b + c - bc, a + c - ac, a + b - ab)

The only critical point occurs where a = b = c = 2, which is outside our area of interest (namely, we want a + b + c = 2, 0 <= a <= b <= c). Thus we must only look at our function on the edges and corners... to find these, we consider the system

1) 0 <= a <= b <= c
    2) c <= a + b
    3) a + b + c = 2

Clearly, c <= 1, from 2) and 3). It follows that a and b are also less than 1.

I leave the rest as an exercise </lazy>

4. Oct 12, 2009 #3
    I know this is an old thread, but I recently ran into this problem and found its solution using AM-GM to be very nice. Anyone working on this who is stuck may want to expand (1-a)(1-b)(1-c) out and work from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?