Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Putnam competition question

1. Jun 25, 2004 #1
    Is it possible to take the putnam exam when your a student in high school?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2004 #2
    I know that you have to be associated with a university or college. I'm not sure how much of an association is necessary, but I believe that you have to be at least enrolled in the school you are competing for.

You can only compete in the contest four times, though. So entering the contest when you are in high school can prevent you from being able to enter later on when you've accumulated more knowledge and are more prepared.

4. Jun 26, 2004 #3
    I would say no, because it's only open to people who are in an undergrad program, but who haven't graduated yet. I think that answers your question, but if you still want to write it the coach of your local university's team would probably let you do it for fun. The prof who coaches our team writes it every year (& solves every problem, & takes ~1.5hrs to do each half) & last time I did it there was someone who had already graduated & she was allowed to do it for fun.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?