1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Putnam exam preparation?

1. Jan 6, 2015 #1
    I'm part of the math club at my college. Recently the professor who runs the club a mock Putnam exam using the same test format (two three hour sessions) with problems recycled from old tests. I didn't know exactly what I was walking into since by an odd coincidence "Putnam" also happens to be the name of a large-ish town near where my school is and I thought he was just playing off that, but anyway I ended up getting two full solutions and a partial solution for a third, so now they've talked me into taking the real thing this December.

How would one go about preparing? I've only been in anything even resembling a math competition once (SkillsUSA applied technical math), and that was years ago (although, I did win second in state for that one, for whatever it would be worth). And I'm not a math student, my major is electrical engineering with a physics minor, is it open to non-math majors?

Any advice at all would be nice...I have a year to get ready.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook