Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Putnam Math Competition

1. Feb 13, 2005 #1
    Has anyone here competed in the tough math competition? How would it compare to other competitions, say IMO or USAMO? Is it greater in difficulty?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2005 #2
    I took it two years ago (my first year in college), and was too sick last year to take it. However, I did go over the problems and actually managed to solve two of them very quickly ( :(, because I would have had a nice score if I was healthy enough).

I've never taken either of those other two tests, so I can't help with that.

The questions themselves are pretty difficult, but not in terms of how much knowledge they require. The first few, at least, can be solved using handy formulas (such as binomial expansion) and just finding the right "trick." Generally the idea is to find this trick, in which case the solution is a pararaph.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?