Can you Solve This Putnam 2012 Problem about Acute Triangles?

• MHB
  • Thread starter jakncoke1
  • Start date
In summary, the Putnam problem 2012: A1 is a challenging mathematical problem that was part of the William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition in 2012. It covers various topics in mathematics and requires a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and creative problem-solving skills. The official solution is not publicly available, but there are many online resources and forums for discussion. To prepare, one can practice solving previous years' Putnam problems, participate in mathematics competitions, and review fundamental concepts and problem-solving strategies.
jakncoke1
Lets take a crack at em.

Prob A1: Let $d_1,...,d_{12}$ be 12 real numbers in the interval (1,12), show that there exists indicides $i,j,k$, such that $d_i,d_j,d_k$ are side lengths of an acute triangle.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is actually quite easy.
WLOG, Let $d_1 \leq ... \leq d_{12}$ . If we note that for sides a,b,c , the triangle being acute is equivalent to $a^2+b^2 > c^2$ $a \leq b \leq c$

Assume that there exists no $ i < k < j$ such that $(d_j)^2< (d_i)^2 + (d_k)^2.$ There fore, $d_1^2 + d_2^2 \leq d_3^2$ , since $d_k > 1 for all k. d_3^2 > 2$.
Then $d_4^2 > d_3^2 + d_2^2 = d^4 > 2 + 1$
$d_5^2 > d_4^2 + d_3^2 = 3 + 2$
so $d_p ^2 > F(p)$ where F(p) is the pth fibonacci number.
so $d_{12}^2 > F(12)$
or $d_{12}^2 > 144, d_{12} > 12$, which is a contradiction.

Last edited:

1. What is the Putnam problem 2012: A1?

The Putnam problem 2012: A1 is a mathematical problem that was part of the William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition in 2012. It is a popular annual competition for undergraduate students in mathematics from colleges and universities in the United States and Canada.

2. What is the difficulty level of Putnam problem 2012: A1?

The difficulty level of the Putnam problem 2012: A1 is considered to be on the challenging side. It is a problem that requires a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and creative problem-solving skills.

3. What was the solution to Putnam problem 2012: A1?

The official solution to Putnam problem 2012: A1 is not publicly available. However, there are many online resources and forums where participants and mathematics enthusiasts discuss their approaches and solutions to the problem.

4. What topics in mathematics does Putnam problem 2012: A1 cover?

Putnam problem 2012: A1 covers various topics in mathematics such as calculus, geometry, algebra, number theory, and combinatorics. It requires a holistic understanding of these concepts and their applications in problem-solving.

5. How can I prepare for Putnam problem 2012: A1?

To prepare for Putnam problem 2012: A1, you can practice solving previous years' Putnam problems and participating in mathematics competitions or problem-solving groups. It is also helpful to review fundamental mathematical concepts and techniques and practice creative problem-solving strategies.