Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Putting a movie file onto a DVD.

1. Mar 27, 2009 #1
    Hey everyone :)

I have a movie file on my computer that is 120 minutes and 800MB. I want to transfer that onto a DVD CD so that I can play it on a DVD player at my friends house.

The movie file is in AVI format.

How do I put that file onto the DVD CD? Do I need a special programme or can I just do it through iTunes? I don't want to try and fail because the DVDs are not rewritable.

I'm also not 100% what type of DVD player my friend has but, he will be playing it through a playstation 3. I have a DVD+R and a DVD-R.

Any help would be much appreciated :) I'm a noob as you can probably see lol!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Mar 27, 2009 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Well first of all, you need to find out what codec it really is, because .avi is just a general purpose wrapper. Open the file in media player, then click file-> properties and see what the audio and video codecs are. Then check the manual of your Playstation to see if it will play them. Odds are probably pretty good that it will.

If it does, you're golden and you can play it directly in your Playstation. However, there are DVDs and CDs, but no such thing as a "DVD CD". Find out exactly how big the file is and see if it will actually fit on a CD. If it does, then burn it to a CD as a "data cd". If not, burn it to a DVD as a "data dvd".

If your dvd player doesn't play that codec, then you have to re-encode it in a format the Playstation will play. You'll have to get some software to do that for you and it can be a little more involved...

5. Mar 27, 2009 #4
    Says "DivX Decoder Filter"

6. Mar 27, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

divx is a more compressed form than dvd - which is why you can fit a 2hour movie into 800mb.
    If you want to make a regular DVD you need to re-encode it as mpeg2 and write all the correct files and folders for a DVD. check the link above for the software to do this.

7. Mar 27, 2009 #6

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Here's a web site with a lot of info about video and DVD stuff, called doom9.net, although this just redirects you to doom9.org:

http://www.doom9.org

Your dvd burner should have come with some type of software to write DVD's with. Find out what input formats it can use.

Playstation 3 has a Blu-Ray dvd player, and it should be able to handle DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW. I don't know if it can handle both Blu-Ray BD-R and BD-RE formats.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  8. Mar 27, 2009 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

According to a quick google, a PS3 will play Divx, so you're probably good to go.

9. Mar 27, 2009 #8
    My friend's XBox (original) would not play rewritable DVDs, only regular DVDs, though this apparently is not the case with all XBoxs. There are also alot of companies that are making their products in such a way as to prevent the use of pirated material so they may not accept avi or divx burned to disk in the place of a DVD as a data disk. It may take some work but if you google around you should find articles and forums answering these questions for you. These new consoles are attempting to be media centers and have large hard drives so you can load content onto the hard disk and play it from there. The PS3 may only play DivX files that are loaded directly to the hard disk or that are part of a properly encoded game.

I found a program a while back that re-encoded media for play on a normal DVD player. Unfortunately it took several hours for it to do this. The one project I tried, and couldn't get to work, took about 17 hours I think. It was a large project though.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  10. Mar 27, 2009 #9
    Mayday, check out the videohelp.com "tools" section. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/all-in-one-dvd-converters" [Broken] is a list of converters.

ConvertXtoDVD is one of the best "all-in-one" solutions, but is payware.

For freeware, I personally like Avidemux. There is also WinFF, which is simple to use. Avi2DVD probably has the edge on quality, because it uses the excellent (free) HC Encoder.

For burning the DVD, I use ImgBurn.

The nice thing about the videohelp Tools list is that it is kept up-to-date with very latest versions/betas etc, and you can read users' opinions on the various applications and judge for yourself what is right for you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook