Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Puzzle on shapes

1. May 3, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

Can anyone let me how the following puzzle can be solved :

draw a square. divide it into four identical squares. remove the bottom left hand square. now divide the resulting shape into four identical shapes

Thanks,
    Suppie

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2008 #2
    Hi. I've attached my solution. I spent a few hours drawing the square. :biggrin:

Attached Files:

4. May 4, 2008 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When I click to open d1ff's square.gif file, I get this puzzling message:

-----

Redbelly98, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

5. May 4, 2008 #4
    So do I. I think I did something wrong. I'll just describe it:

Label the squares A, B, and C. The center point of A is cA, B is cB, and c is cC. Clockwise, starting at the top, name each side of each square: A1, A2, A3, A4, etc. Note A2 = B4, B3 = C1. Call the midpoint of each side mA1, mA2, etc. The center point is the point common to all three squares. Then, connect the dots:

mA3 + cA + cB (through mB4 = mA2) + cC (through mB3 = mC1) + mC4 + center point + mA3 again

Now erase the bottom half of A2 and the left part of B3 --> this is the shape you need. If you have divided the original square into 4 squares and kept those lines, then you should have the puzzle solved.

6. May 4, 2008 #5
    There's nothing wrong with the image, there's something wrong with this particular forum. For some reason, the Brain Teaser forum will NOT allow you to view attached files as long as you're logged in. Log out, and you can see it just fine. Or, if you have a separate browser, you can view it with that-- I typically run Firefox, so I just launch MSIE to view images, where I'm not logged in already.

This has been reported a few times, but so far it seems either nothing can be done to fix the problem, or it's a little to complicated to warrant fixing.

DaveE

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?